16x4 lcd working in 4 bit mode but not working in 8 bit mode

16x4 lcd working in 4 bit mode but not working in 8 bit mode

Thanks for letting us know 8)

If you seriously need help, you will need to provide a lot more information. Code and schematic would be a good start.

Hints: Note: Standard LCDs are: 2-line with each line 16 characters (16, 2) 4-line with each line 20 characters (20, 4)

Please, check the continuity of your wiring/ connection between Arduino and LCD.

dharanivel: 16x4 lcd working in 4 bit mode but not working in 8 bit mode

No-one - just no-one uses 8-bit mode as it is a waste of pin connections.

So your question is somewhat pointless.

I have used this code

include the library code:
#include <LiquidCrystal.h>

// initialize the library by associating any needed LCD interface pin
// with the arduino pin number it is connected to
LiquidCrystal lcd(12,11,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2);

void setup() {
  // set up the LCD's number of columns and rows:
  lcd.begin(16, 2);
  // Print a message to the LCD.
  lcd.print("hello, world!");
}

void loop() {
  // set the cursor to column 0, line 1
  // (note: line 1 is the second row, since counting begins with 0):
  lcd.setCursor(0, 1);
  // print the number of seconds since reset:
  lcd.print(millis() / 1000);
}

I connected r/w pin to ground.
I think that 8 bit mode is much faster than 4 bit.So i decided to use 8 bit ,but the lcd showing some floationg charaters. please help.

4-bit mode is slower than 8-bit mode, that's true, in theory. In practice it makes no difference at all. This type of LCD is so slow to react to changes that the difference between 4/8-bit modes will never be noticeable.

But 8-bit mode should work ok. I suspect that whatever you did wrong will still be wrong even if you change to 4-bit mode.

Please edit your post above and post your code correctly, using code tags, according to forum guidelines in the sticky post. Also include a schematic and perhaps some well-focussed close-up pictures of the circuit.