1kHz ADC to Serial

Hi

I am quite a beginner but can you please confirm or deny my understanding of Arduino (Nano) ADC speed and serial transmission rate.

My goal is to sample an ac-signal with a sample rate of 1kHz over serial output to my pc.
Assumed my ac signal consists of ADC int's with 4 byte (32bit) in size each, that should make
at 1kHz (1000x32)=32000 bits/s. To process this in realtime I would need to set "Serial.begin" to at least to 38400 (and also the /dev/ttyUSB0 port on my pc via stty)? Is this correct?

ADC int's with 4 byte (32bit)

A Nano ADC outputs 16 bit int data type.

How are you processing the AC signal so that the signal that is input into the ADC never goes more negative than -0.5V and never more positive than 5.5V (assuming a 5V Nano)?

The Nano hardware serial (Serial) is capable of speeds over 200,000 baud.

1KHz sample rate over serial should be no problem.

Hi,
What is the application?
If we know what you are working with, there may be other solutions.

Thanks.. Tom... :slight_smile:

groundFungus:
How are you processing the AC signal so that the signal that is input into the ADC never goes more negative than -0.5V and never more positive than 5.5V (assuming a 5V Nano)?

I use an Voltage divider with an Opamp behind it, which is part of my ECG Test Circuit.
But currently I simply use my function-generator to have a 1Hz sine 5Vpp (+2,5V Offset) signal just to test
the theory.

My current setup is SIGNAL-->Arduino(Nano)-->RaspberryPi(/dev/ttyUSB to netcat) -->PC(netcat)-->ProcessingApplication-->LiveGraph

So I just want to have a graph of my signal over time on my PC. I need to do this over TCP because
I dont want to have all that graphical stuff on my Raspberry next to my lab-desk.