1mA analog meters

hi all, can someone point me to some online retailer that sells 1mA analog meters?... i've found a project that requires three of them, but i can't seem to locate any online!... i found hopesun, but not anywhere to actually buy them...

thanks,
isaac

hi all, can someone point me to some online retailer that sells 1mA analog meters?... i've found a project that requires three of them, but i can't seem to locate any online!... i found hopesun, but not anywhere to actually buy them...

thanks,
isaac

I know allelectronics has them for $12 which is pretty typical online from what I've heard, but I've been buying them from a local store for $4.

thanks, oracle... does this local store have any online presence (or possibly in atlanta?)..

thanks

thanks, oracle... does this local store have any online presence (or possibly in atlanta?)..

thanks

The city is Toronto and the store is one of those filthy little holes in the wall with a goldmine of electronics surplus, so they don't have a website.

thanks,
isaac

Unfortunatly the place I found my meters in Dallas, Tanners, doesn't have an online store either. Cool store though, its filled with cardboard bins full of parts.

i've found a project that requires three of them, but i can't seem to locate any online!

Building a meter clock?
Futurlec carries both voltage and analog meters but none at 1ma. Same story at Jameco You might, however, be able to bodge a high-value (or one of the voltage) meter into service by replacing the bias-resistor? I used this to convert some 100A meters into 10mA meters.

you must subscribe to make!...

you know, i had the idea last summer, even sketching it down, but never moved forward... then, my wife gives me a subscription to make for christmas and damnit if this issue didn't have the same exact thing...

i thought i had an original idea! :wink:

i actually found some vintage meters on ebay and bid, but then i saw that the shipping is a gazillion dollars... found some here for those interested:

you must subscribe to make!...
you know, i had the idea last summer, even sketching it down, but never moved forward... then, my wife gives me a subscription to make for christmas and damnit if this issue didn't have the same exact thing...

Sadly, I don't get make, it has been featured on their blog a few times now and on boing boing long before that. I've had a panel meter clock kit in the works for a while now, but I've never quite finished it. Panel meter clocks are, therefore, always on my mind.
The all-electronics meters look nice.

I think we've all been bested for the origin of this idea. Theres pictures of a mid 1800s schooner with 2 mechanical dials displaying time in virtually the same fashion. The clocks measured watch time and were powered by hung weights. I wish I remembered where I saw it.

Just out of curiosity, what type of enclosures are yall thinking of using for your clocks? I did mine in a black wooden box because it matches our decor. But the other idea I had was to use a metal enclosure that looks like it should have been mounted in something like a Nasa control panel

Just out of curiosity, what type of enclosures are yall thinking of using for your clocks? I did mine in a black wooden box because it matches our decor. But the other idea I had was to use a metal enclosure that looks like it should have been mounted in something like a Nasa control panel

one of my best friends has a wood shop, so we're planning to design a couple so that he can build the boxes and i'll put together the internals... works out so that we both get to have some fun...

I now have a few clocks, but the nicest of the lot has been set into a 4U 19" rackmount blank. It was (and I assume still is) installed below a plethora of other meters in a theatre's dimmer bank. It fit well in a room were every wall was covered by floor to ceiling cabinets and it did much better than the clock mounted on the back of the door.

thanks,
isaac

Are you trying to use a device to measure current by reading a voltage?

Presumably he's building a device that uses a PWM output to drive an analog meter movement.

Presumably he's building a device that uses a PWM output to drive an analog meter movement.

yeppers... a clock to be exact... the current issue of make has nice simple plans...

You might want to take apart a small Autometer automotive gauge. They have the goodies inside :). They can be had for pretty cheap on ebay.

Might also fit the form factor of a clock too.