1st paid gig as Electronic Technician needs help! THX! USB device!

Simple device plugs into your computer USB or Keyboard sends receieved data wirelessly while sending same data directly to computer.
Which microcontroller board could do this simple task?

Simple answer needs more information.

This project is basically for a two fold purpose 1st purpose is so that in a network keystokes can be counted while respecting privacy for workstations in a network. It must be entirely hardware no software solutions can be accepted, but the signal does not need to be electronically encrypted in the prototyping phase. So Signal encryptors like http://www.patents.com/us-5101432.html don't need to be looked at this phaze of the project.
The Simple project is USB in /Matching Wifi and USB out. The Wifi out should have a custom signal that I will need to write a IO protocol for which is beyond my abilities at this time the only code I know how to write is Python. So what to do with the Wifi code out is also beyond the scope of this project. Phaze one is the first device as simple as possible. It wont be a high speed device keystrokes are very slow in fact I recall it being the slowest part of the computer.

ERBlake:
This project is basically for a two fold purpose 1st purpose is so that in a network keystokes can be counted while respecting privacy for workstations in a network. It must be entirely hardware no software solutions can be accepted,

You want a device that you plug a USB keyboard into and then plug that device into a USB socket on a computer. The device should pass the keystrokes through to the computer and also, simultaneously, transmit them to a receiver.

Have I got that correct?

Your first problem will be to get the PC to recognise the device as a 'keyboard'. I doubt that it can be easily done without additional software on the computer.
"Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to continue." in POST.

Man in the middle ok maybe. You have the wrong gig maybe

Henry_Best:
Your first problem will be to get the PC to recognise the device as a 'keyboard'. I doubt that it can be easily done without additional software on the computer.

I'm not sure the device should be recognized as a keyboard itself. I think the USB part of the device should be passive. Only the PC and keyboard should be communicating with each other. The listening device just monitors the USB signal.

Though I'm not sure a passive device would be much easier. The device could either be smart enough to ignore the initial USB handshaking or else the device would send everything it sees and let the other side of the wireless signal worry about making sense of data.

Either way, I'm not sure I'd call this a "simple device".

There is no reason that you can't insert a pass-through device between keyboard and computer, as long as it is designed to not modify the keyboard signal as it passes it through. I was working at one time with credit card swipers that were inserted in line with the keyboard. When they weren't actually in use, the keyboard strokes went to the computer. When you swiped a card, the swiper sent characters to the computer, fooling the computer into thinking it was a keyboard.

The concept of this device seems suspicious to me.

It would be perfectly easy to write a PC program that would count keystrokes or send data anywhere in the world. Why would one need a "spy" device to do that unless there is an ulterior motive - like stealing passwords.

If you are just the developer you can have no control over the device when your task is complete.

Just because someone offers money does not mean it should be accepted.

...R

It sounds like one of those evil call centers monitoring their slaves aren't slacking off by typing slowly.

You know a single USB device can do multiple things simultaneously? You can have it be a keyboard and send data to a Python program on the PC?

It would be easy to do this with a Leonardo and a USB host shield. Get that part working first, then the Python program.

MorganS:
It sounds like one of those evil call centers monitoring their slaves aren't slacking off by typing slowly.

Guy asked his boss for some oil for his wheelbarrow.
Boss said what's wrong with it.
Guy said "It goes squeek squeek squeek when I push it"
Boss says "Your fired"
Guy says "WTF ?"
Boss says "Your wheelbarrow should go squeek squeek squeek squeek squeek"

...R

Here is one good place to start http://www.usb.org/developers/hidpage/
Catching data is easy using it is harder. But I don't see it being made any cheaper then what you can buy made for you.

be80be:
Here is one good place to start http://www.usb.org/developers/hidpage/
Catching data is easy using it is harder. But I don't see it being made any cheaper then what you can buy made for you.

Nice picture, but what is it and a link to the datasheet would be nice.

Nice picture, but what is it

A 2 cm USB cable extender?

Lol its a keyboard sniffer I thought I posted the link keyboard sniffer

DESCRIPTION

KeyGrabber products are hardware keyloggers. The keystroke recorder has up to 2GB of memory capacity, stored on a FAT file system. The device is completely transparent from computer operation, and no software or drivers are required. International keyboard layouts are also supported.

See the comparison chart as some versions have a clock/battery for times-stamping keystrokes. Some have a module for sending keystrokes via wireless so you don’t need full physical access again and can obtain keystrokes immediately via TCP direct stream or have keystrokes sent to you via email.

I thought the link was set I guess I copied over it when I did the picture.
There no datasheet just tills what it can do there 4 of them with different ways to give you the data. $40 to $150 the $150 has has wifi and sends emails

jremington:
A 2 cm USB cable extender?

LOL! For when the cable doesn't quite reach.

$150 has has wifi and sends emails

Cool! I take it the adapter just emails your keystrokes straight to the NSA and the GCHQ?

If that's what you want there cheaper one out there. I still can't see taking a job like this and then asking how to do it. And it still be cheaper buying any one of those. Let's see cost to design a pcb cost of parts to make it
then the cost to build it oh and the cost to program it.
I'm sure it be over any one of them.

This project is basically for a two fold purpose 1st purpose is so that in a network keystokes can be counted while respecting privacy for workstations in a network. It must be entirely hardware no software solutions can be accepted, but the signal does not need to be electronically encrypted in the prototyping phase. So Signal encryptors like Patents.com - The Rarest Patent and IP Protection Domain Name Now Available for Offers don't need to be looked at this phaze of the project.
The Simple project is USB in /Matching Wifi and USB out. The Wifi out should have a custom signal that I will need to write a IO protocol for which is beyond my abilities at this time the only code I know how to write is Python. So what to do with the Wifi code out is also beyond the scope of this project. Phaze one is the first device as simple as possible. It wont be a high speed device keystrokes are very slow in fact I recall it being the slowest part of the computer.

Look's like the OP needs to pay some one to do all the work don't see anyone here doing this for free.