2 120V AC Motors, switch activation

Hi, I have a two 120V AC motor setup that I would like to make switch activated. I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to wire/code to get said action going. Its fairly simple, I'm just entirely new to arduino and need some guidance. thanks so much.

Why do you want to use the Arduino? Doing so will take a fair bit of extra circuitry, with potentially dangerous wiring, when just a switch will do.

I have a partner doing a larger project related to this who insisted i code the system into arduino. it has baffled me. all logic aside, how would you go about doing this?

If the end result is just a switch to control the motors, then putting an Arduino in between is totally illogical and possibly dangerous.

You have to consider that the Arduino could fail in some way (due to electrical noise, component failure, poor circuit design etc.) and turn on the motors when someone is least expecting it. Or, not turn them on when necessary to do so.

But if you really must do this, use solid state relays. They can be driven directly from an Arduino pin and are more reliable than mechanical relays. http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,6460.0.html