2 BiPolar Step Motors 24V, 2.5A each coil (4x), Using Mega 2560

This is my first post, be gentle.

I'm building a thing with lots of bells and whistles. I'm using the Mega 2560 Arduino clone from Rugged Circuits. I need to run 2 NEMA-23, Bi-polar, stepper motors, geared 64:1 to get my torque. They will run synchronized, slowly, and less than 100° range, and in opposite directions. I'm using the Rugged Circuit version of the 2560 and 2 Rugged Circuit Motor Driver shields. Each shield will handle 2 coils at 2.8A each peak. I'm using outside power: 24V, 8A peak current, which I will power the shields at their J3 jack. The run times will be about 5 seconds, full power, with long rest cycles. I'm still using dual fan cooling (inflow, evacuate).

I need verification on this scheme: I'm stacking 2 RC motor shields on the RC 2560.

The default setup for the stack is:

D03 for EN1
D11 for Dir1
D12 for EN2
D13 for Dir2

J1+ to CoilA+
J1- to CoilA -

J2+ to CoilB+
J2- to CoilB -

As per:
http://www.rugged-circuits.com/rugged-motor-driver

Since I'm running the motors with the same commands, I figure I can use the same pin setup for both shields changing nothing, except for motor-2 on shield-2, swapping CoilA to J2 and CoilB to J1; the polarities will remain unchanged. This should make motor-2 run opposite to motor-1. I'll do nothing with the J4 data block, and do no other pin jumping.

Will this connection scheme work? If not, what would be a solution?

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
Check D11 and D12, on the spec sheet.
You should be able to validate your project by running the sample sketches that are provided in the spec sheet.
They will be configured for the default config you have.

Tom… :slight_smile:

Post a link to the datasheet for the motor shields. They do not sound like they are intended for stepper motors.

For a high amperage stepper motor you need a stepper driver that can be adjusted to limit the maximum current in the motor coils. Otherwise the 24v supply will fry the motor. And using 24v is a good idea - with a suitable driver.

Also post a link to the datasheet for your motors.

...R
Stepper Motor Basics