2 dc to dc converter in series?

Hello
I have 2 dc dc to dc converters modules can I put them in series, and double the voltage?
Thank you

That depends on what is feeding them. If they are fed separately from different, unconnected, unearthed power supplies then it should be OK. If they are fed from the same power supply or separate power supplies that are joined in some way then you will be shorting something out.

How about buying 1 converter with the required output voltage?

Please post a schematic of how you propose to do this.

No.

Given that you presumably expect both to be powered by the same source, It would only be possible if at least one of them (on the "high" side) was fully isolated with a transformer - separate primary and secondary windings such as is required for a mains power supply.

Almost all "buck" (and indeed "boost") converters use a simple two-terminal inductor so that the negative ("ground") is common to both input and output as others have later described.

Hmm. Seems I mid-identified the avatar. :astonished:

What a nasty reply Paul, OK in future don't read my post then. You sound like you were bullied in school.

For your information I am extremely unwell and I just do not function very well. As it says

So now on do not reply to any of my post please. Go bully someone else who's obviously not as intelligent as yourself.

I am powering them from the same supply 12v, so no then I only as as I've seen power supplies used in series, I get it now they have to be powered by separate supply's.

Thaks perry

I don't know how you can ever DOUBLE the input voltage with BUCK converters, no matter how many you put in series. Now if you use an appropriate BOOST converter you'd need only one...

So yes, the proper counter question is: wtf are you even planning to do?

To be clear, as others have clearly interpreted your question differently to me. As I read your question you have said nothing about what is feeding the inputs to the 2 converters, and my answer was based on not knowing this. If they are both fed from the same supply then no. If they are fed from completely different, independent, unconnected, not grounded or otherwise connected to each other in any way supplies; then you can connect the outputs in series. However, I can't think of a good reason to do this. Get a suitable boost converter for the voltage you want.

Thanks Perry I only asked as I’ve seen 2 power supply’s used in series, now I know how it’s Done
Thank you.

jonisonvespa:
Hello
I have 2 dc dc to dc converters modules can I put them in series, and double the voltage?
Thank you

Are the isolated? What voltage and current ratings are they?

The OP should also ask about the total current that can be drawn from his design.

Paul

Most folks envision your DC-DC circuit to be:

Many / most DC to DC converters have the input common and output common connected together. We don't know what you have exactly.

jonisonvespa:
Hello
Thank you

Hi, I think you mean.
Can I put the OUTPUT of two dc-dc converters in series and double the OUTPUT voltage.

It is possible, BUT as stated earlier the outputs need to be isolated from the input.
I think you will find that unless stated, most DC-DC converters are not, and their inputs and outputs share the same gnd.

What is the application?
How many volts are you trying to get?
Tom.. :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
Hi, I think you mean.Can I put the OUTPUT of two dc-dc converters in series and double the OUTPUT voltage.

That is something I'd call a parallel arrangement, not series, adding to the confusion.

Maybe the OP was thinking of something like this.
out.png

out.png

Hi,
I was referring @JohnRob circuit as example.
Tom... :slight_smile:
PS My caffeine level must have been low.