2 encoders driving 1 motor

hi i need a bit of help. is it possible to have 2 encoders on a xy table one on each axis. so when the table moves it will drive a single dc motor only in 1 direction (forward)
thanks

Probably. But, DC motors typically rotate. They don't "drive forward".

gfvalvo:
Probably. But, DC motors typically rotate. They don't "drive forward".

thanks for the reply with no info at all to my question. have a medal for all your hard work thinking about a stupid reply

Ask better questions, get better answers. You didn't supply nearly enough info.

What kind of motor? Stepper? Servo? Drive?

What characteristic of the motor needs to be controlled? Speed? Position?

What's the transfer function from output of the encoders to control of the motor?

Is it some kind of closed-loop feedback scheme where movement of the motor in turn rotates the encoders? If so, what's the transfer function back to each encoders? What are the required loop dynamics?

What code have you written so far?

Where's your schematic? Diagram of the physical setup?

is it possible to have 2 encoders on a xy table one on each axis.

Yes.

so when the table moves it will drive a single dc motor only in 1 direction (forward)

This makes no sense. What is the relationship between the XY table and the motor?

If the idea is that you manually move the table, and any motion, in either direction, should cause the motor to rotate, then that is entirely possible.

If that isn’t the idea, you need to explain a whole lot better than you have.

And, you need to read my signature AND apologize to gfvalvo.

gfvalvo:
Ask better questions, get better answers. You didn't supply nearly enough info.

What kind of motor? Stepper? Servo? Drive?

What characteristic of the motor needs to be controlled? Speed? Position?

What's the transfer function from output of the encoders to control of the motor?

Is it some kind of closed-loop feedback scheme where movement of the motor in turn rotates the encoders? If so, what's the transfer function back to each encoders? What are the required loop dynamics?

What code have you written so far?

Where's your schematic? Diagram of the physical setup?

you are a really special person, this is the kind of help i was expecting on here. i have sorted it now anyway.

xadmx:
. i have sorted it now anyway.

That's cool, because I really doubt if anyone had a clue what you were describing and asking.

Yet again xyproblem.info is relevant, and yet again someone can't be bothered to read the "how to post" threads before posting. Ho hum.

arduin_ologist:
That's cool, because I really doubt if anyone had a clue what you were describing and asking.

everything is in the post, its really not that hard if you can read.

xadmx:
everything is in the post, its really not that hard if you can read.

Well I’ve been reading for some 55 years, graduated from university 4 times, in engineering (twice), adult education and management once each, so I’d say my reading’s ok.

That leaves your writing…