2 IDE's on same computer

How can I install version 1.0.5 and 1.6.5 on the same computer?

I'm not sure but when you run the newer installer, it might put the older version in a new directory. On my machine, for some reason I have 1.6.7 and 1.6.4 installed. The desktop shortcut points to 1.6.7 within C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino yet I have a C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-1.6.4-windows\ folder with an exe that still runs 1.6.4 IDE.

If you’re installing on Windows then use the “Windows ZIP file for non admin install” download link instead of the “Windows Installer” one.

pert:
If you’re installing on Windows then use the “Windows ZIP file for non admin install” download link instead of the “Windows Installer” one.

I have 1.6.7 installed on Windows7. I downloaded arduino-1.5.8-windows.zip and unzipped it. This runs OK but it picks up the source code and user installed libraries from the 1.6.7 installation and I wish to keep these completely separate.

Would setting up a new user account, installing arduino-1.5.8-windows.exe in this new account achieve complete separation?

Would it be possible to have two independent installations of 1.5.8 & 1.6.7 under one user account?

The reason is that the Roboclaw library reportedly builds OK for Due in 1.5.8 whereas it does not for 1.6.7 and I wish to import a correctly built version into Visualmicro.

Thanks.

Arduino IDE 1.6.5 and earlier on Windows stores the preferences.txt in a different location than more recent versions so you should be able to just set them to use different sketchbook folders in File > Preferences > Sketchbook location: to keep them completely separate. If you want to have completely separate installations of versions that share the same preferences.txt location normally you can change to portable mode by creating a folder named portable in the Arduino IDE installation folder and then restart the IDE. That will cause the IDE to store the preferences.txt in the portable folder as well as any packages installed via Boards Manager so you can set a different sketchbook location for each IDE version.

pert: Arduino IDE 1.6.5 and earlier on Windows stores the preferences.txt in a different location than more recent versions so you should be able to just set them to use different sketchbook folders in File > Preferences > Sketchbook location: to keep them completely separate.

Thanks.

In 1.5.8 File.Preferences has a browse option for "Sketchbook location:" but none to change preferences.txt, it gives the location as that due to 1.6.7, C:\Users\me\AppData\Roaming\Arduino15 - this reflects actions I have taken today in 1.5.8. This file has last.ide populated as 1.5.8.

However there is another preferences.txt at C:\Users\me\AppData\Roaming\Arduino which does not reflect actions I have taken today in 1.5.8. Also "last.ide" does not exist in this file.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=84924.0 addresses this issue but it appears that one would have to modify the old 1.6.7 installation, possibly causing import problems into Visualmicro and/or Atmel studio 7.

1.6.7 stores preferences.txt in C:\Users\me\AppData*Local*\Arduino15 so you don't need to change where preferences.txt is stored to be able to use both of those versions separately without using portable mode. The sketchbook is where the user sketches and libraries are stored so if you set a different sketchbook location for each version that will accomplish your goal.

pert: 1.6.7 stores preferences.txt in C:\Users\me\AppData*Local*\Arduino15 so you don't need to change where preferences.txt is stored to be able to use both of those versions separately without using portable mode.

Thanks. Unfortunately both 1.6.7 and 1.5.8 both use the preferences.txt of the 1.6.7 installation, which is not helpful. Presumably this is related to the fact that 1.6.7 was installed from a .exe whereas 1.5.8 was simply unzipped and so not a formal install.

Currently 1.6.7 and 1.5.8 are using the same sketch location. I will try altering this tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Strange, I can set different sketchbook locations with 1.6.5 and 1.6.7. I don't have 1.5.8 installed but it should be the same because they started using C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Arduino15 at 1.6.6. Well you can always just use the portable mode approach, I'd do it with 1.6.7 because this feature may have been added after 1.5.8 and I know there have been recent changes to allow the sketchbook folder to be set outside of the portable folder.

pert: Strange, I can set different sketchbook locations with 1.6.5 and 1.6.7.

Yes it appears I should be able to do this but both installations will share the same preferences.txt. I will test it tomorrow.

Unpacking arduino-1.5.8-windows.zip and executing 1.5.8 direct from the directory would not allow installation of external libraries which I had previously installed for 1.6.7, even after changing default sketch location.

Uninstalling 1.6.7 did not help either. So I then deleted all components of the external libraries I could find which I had installed for 1.6.7. Also deleted all output of arduino-1.5.8-windows.zip. Then installed arduino-1.5.8-windows.exe. This time all external libraries were gone and I installed them into 1.5.8.

Are two independent installations of 1.6.7 & 1.5.8 possible?

RBB01: Are two independent installations of 1.6.7 & 1.5.8 possible?

I think you need to provide me with more information on exactly what you're trying to accomplish. As I said before Arduino IDE 1.5.8 and 1.6.7 absolutely do use different locations for preferences.txt on Windows so that means each one can have different settings, even when not in portable mode. They can each have a different sketchbook location, this is where user code and user installed libraries are stored. I just installed 1.5.8 just to verify this is so.

RBB01: would not allow installation of external libraries which I had previously installed for 1.6.7, even after changing default sketch location.

What exactly do mean by this? How did you try to install the external library. What does "would not allow" mean? Was there an error message? If so copy the exact error message here.

After installing 1.5.8 it updated the preferences.txt of existing 1.6.7 installation and displayed the external libraries loaded into 1.6.7. This persisted when I changed the sketch location of 1.5.8.

On Sketch.ImportLibrary.AddLibrary I selected a zip file which had already been imported into 1.6.7 and the message was akin to "library already loaded". I do not recall the exact message.

The net result is that I now only have a 1.5.8 installation. Perhaps the OP had a better result.

Well I'm stumped as to how that's possible since they are using two different preferences.txt where the preferences settings are saved to. So I think you should go with the second option of using your 1.6.7 installation in portable mode by creating a folder named portable in the installation folder.

Thanks. I will stay on 1.5.8 for now.