2 probably ridiculusly stupid problems

:-/

So… I just got a little starter kit and am having trouble powering my diecimila unit using usb only… I can get it to work with an ac adapter but not without. I have moved the bridge thingy to both positions but no joy. Is this a common occurance or do i have a bung something or other somewhere. Please help?

Also,

and I repeat, feel like a two year old admitting and asking about this… but for some reason when i upload a sketch to the board, at this point blinky LED. The led won’t stop blinking.
There is a stop button in the software, but nah doesn’t work. Tried to use the manual reset button on the board but also no joy.

If anyone out there feels like taking pity on such a pathetic noob as myself… please help.
Cheers

Have you installed the FTDI drivers for the usb?
If yes, then perhaps your board is broken.

Hey,

yeah i installed whatever drivers came with the software so it can talk with the board when plugged in, just no power. (running mac osx leopard)

cheers

If possible try to install everything on a differrent PC, just to make sure your that your PC is not causing the problems.

Also make sure that you selected the correct board type an COM port in the Arduino environment.

when i upload a sketch to the board, at this point blinky LED. The led won’t stop blinking.

No it won’t, it’s not supposed to. You have uploaded the blinking LED sketch and it is running independently of anything the PC is doing. You reset the board and it will start over again.
You can’t stop it (except to load another sketch on top of it). If you remove it from the computer and power it up separately it will run. That is the whole point, you have transferred to program into the hardware and it has a life of it’s own.

Welcome to the world of embedded processing. :slight_smile:

AHA! After a few hours of tutorials mastering the basics of LED control and serial stuff, i suddenly realise the folly of my questions.
Thank-you all for the help.

Welcome to the world of embedded processing. Indeed.

Cool.

Now the fun begins :slight_smile: