2 volts input to 2.5-3volts output

Hello friends!!! I've had an arduino for a few years but never worked with it / failed project years ago / But now it's time to use an arduino / but maybe not... / The task is this: I have a hall sensor that should give a signal of 0 to 2 volts / so my car manual says 2v/1ms. / arduino is it possible to read the signal at such a speed and is it possible to have 2.5-3 volts on some of its outputs. the sensor is used to read the engine revolutions from the crankshaft. sensor number is gm 09 174 621 with 3 pin + signal - . The sensor breaks minus when there is metal in front of it, because when I connect the minus LED to signal and the plus LED to 12 volts, the LED lights up when there is metal in front of it . Thanks in advice

Welcome. I am not sure of your resources so I can only take a SWAG. You need to buffer and/or amplify the signal. Use a small signal NPN transistor such as a 2N4400 and connect the emitter to ground. Connect the base to the output with a 330 ohm resistor. Connect a 10K resistor from the collector to VCC. The collector is you updated signal which can be connected to a digital or timer input on the Arduino. The pin is determined by software and how it will handle the signal. Most any NPN transistor will work and resistor values are not critical.

Your topic was moved to its current location as it is more suitable.

Could you also take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.

It will help you get the best out of the forum in the future.

Thank you

I like your idea , i will try it but… what about source code? Can anyone help me with code? Or is there a way to do this without arduino? For example the piggy back ecu which is connected to my stock ecu have pin with 5volts. Can i take this 5 volts , put them in some sort of transistor and put a resistor before transistor to decrease voltage?

Sorry, i am new hire and i was not sure in which section to write

You would need to put that on a schematic. The 330 Ohm resistor in the base lead is to limit the current as a transistor is unlike a MOSFET a current device. The 10K is a pull up resistor to pull the signal up when the transistor is turned off. The 330 Ohm will have the biggest impact on the current. As far as source use the exclamation mark "!" in front of the read sensor statement. X=D2 become X=!D2, or pin_state = !digitalRead(pin_number);

1 Like

Its not clear what you want to do with the reading from the sensor. If all you want is a voltage proportional to the rpm there are many ways to do this.

I am not sure that i understand what you want to say. This is a type of hall sensor and the rpm just change the length of the square wave / unlike vr sensors where the idle voltage changes with rpm increases /and that ‘s how the stock ecu control ignition advance . I have a pocket oscilloscope and may be is a good idea to check the output signal from hall sensor. I know that some sensors have integrated schematic inside that drop the voltage half of the source voltage. And this is what makes me think the voltage is not 2v/1ms. May be is better to check first…

yes I understand all that. That is the INPUT to your "device"

My question is ..
you want to build a device that will accept the sensor signal as its input.

What exactly will you DO with the data? do you want to store it, log it, etc?

What will be the OUTPUT from your device? a graph, an image, sound, a warning light or a guage, etc?

ok i will try to explain briefly… i have a piggyback ecu connect to my stock ecu. My point is to connect piggyback like in the picture so I can control the ignition angle. Hall sensor signal goes in to piggyback, from there i want to control ignition advance / emulate ignition signal / and from piggy back send this signal to stock ecu. Pin number 3 is “pull up resistor 2k to +12v” not sure since the hall sensor cuts minus why i need to hook pin 3 since it is +12v

And this is what is in the menu for hall sensor

Little update…. After measurement with oscilloscope that is the signal coming from hall sensor. Everything seems ok,piggyback ecu must work properly / or maybe just reading revs / i found info in Mercedes forum that says “Big CON here: This thing does NOT have the ability to log ACTUAL ignition timing compared to TDC. Currently I'm working on a way to tie knock detection into an analog input that I will utilize for tuning timing which I will discuss further down” . Hire is the link : DIY: ECUMaster Digital ECU Tuner3 Piggyback - MBWorld.org Forums
This is little disappointing , because in the description page 18 is “controlling ignition angle” . I have a friend with the same piggyback ecu but stock ecu is bosch/ not siemens like mine / ,Bosch ecu uses vr sensor for crank rpm and the ignition control is working . If anyone have a free time let read and try to help
https://www.ecumaster.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Digital-ECU-Tuner-III-Manual-English.pdf

I think the topic is exhausted, it went in another direction. I never managed to use arduino. if the administrators consider that the topic is not for this forum, let them delete it. if they consider that it might be useful for someone, let them leave it . I apologize for wasting your time

Topics that get resolved without arduino are also valuable for the forum.
If someone brought you on the right track, then there is no waste of time.
Could you share your new paths? And why you chose them?

I shared a link of the device / piggyback ecu/ because I didn't know what type of signal comes from the hall sensor and I thought that arduino could be my solution. however, after a short measurement, the results are obvious. according to these results the piggyback ecu should be able to control the ignition angle/ or at least read revs, which would still be useful/ which is my main goal and why the thread exists. My next order of business is to carefully re-read the entire ecu master DET 3 pdf to find out how I can get it to work in sync with the car's stock ecu. the problem is that the stock ecu is Siemens, and they are quite capricious to the signals that come to them. I had tried with another Siemens with a vr sensor connected according to the scheme - the signal from the vr sensor goes to the piggybac ecu and from there it goes to the stock ecu, but then the engine revs up slowly. If the signal from the sensor goes directly to the stock ecu, the revs go up quickly/normally/. it's like there's some internal delay in the piggyback ecu that can't be overcome and the engine runs a few degrees retard. maybe there is something i'm not doing right. i need to solve this problem

Thanks for sharing. Good luck with your project!

thanks, I think I'll need some luck

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.