2 way switch problem

my project is to control home appliances(fan, light, motor, tv, fridge etc) through controller using relays. i want to extend that to 2 way switch, means by manual n using remote(controller-8051) also.

m not getting way to check status of appliances whether is on or not by controller. thought to use stepdown trans. but its too expensice coz i have to use separate trans for each appliances.

is there any easy method to check 230V status through realy??

or is there any relay with 230V coil? are those expensive?

230V will go thru relay contacts - but relay coil will only see 5V. So measure the coil, see if it is energized or not.

Here’s a circuit to let a wall switch turn a relay on or off.
Momentary button/switch turns on light, arduino senses it & keeps it on for some time amount, turns it off after some interval, can be commanded remotely to turn it off as well.
Suppose the switch could just be an arduino input as well, toggle/rocker switch, read the level and turn light on/off, and still turn it off after a time interval.

Look, just keep it simple.

If you are going to use a controller to control appliances, then the controller does it all.

Each appliance plugs in to a relay-controlled outlet (a "powerswitch tail" if you are not totally competent at mains work) controlled entirely by the Arduino and you have keypads wherever needed to control any or all appliances, as well as whatever remote control you want.

If it is properly constructed, the Arduino control system will be at least as reliable as any of the appliances, so there is no need for "backup" ways to switch them.

Paul__B: Look, just keep it simple.

If you are going to use a controller to control appliances, then the controller does it all.

I get the impression from his post that he wants to use a two way switching system with one of the switches controlled by an Arduino. He needs a double throw relay and a double throw (two way) switch for that. There is then no need to detect what state the relay is in. Throwing the two way switch will invert the state of the relay.

Henry_Best: I get the impression from his post that he wants to use a two way switching system with one of the switches controlled by an Arduino. He needs a double throw relay and a double throw (two way) switch for that. There is then no need to detect what state the relay is in. Throwing the two way switch will invert the state of the relay.

Ah, but it is not the state of the "two-way" relay that he wants to know, but whether the appliance is in fact on or off.

Thus my point - the controller and relay exclusively controls the appliance, then there is no doubt as to its state, and you direct all forms of switching through that controller.

If you are going to use a controller - as for my house lighting - best do the job properly, "from the ground up". I challenged the concept that you would need some sort of "alternative" control to the controller itself.

Paul__B: Ah, but it is not the state of the "two-way" relay that he wants to know, but whether the appliance is in fact on or off.

Thus my point - the controller and relay exclusively controls the appliance, then there is no doubt as to its state, and you direct all forms of switching through that controller.

If you are going to use a controller - as for my house lighting - best do the job properly, "from the ground up". I challenged the concept that you would need some sort of "alternative" control to the controller itself.

I agree that that is what he probably should be doing, but we have no indication of why he needs/wants a two way switch.

Henry_Best: I agree that that is what he probably should be doing, but we have no indication of why he needs/ wants a two way switch.

It is explained in his other post. He wants to do the old "remote control from a smartphone" stunt - or something like that (various "instructables" or similar on this topic). But of course if you do this from a distance, you need to know whether you are actually turning it on or off, or if you need to.