200+v Capacitor prices?! (fleabay)

Long story short…

I thought it would be a good idea to buy a couple of capacitors (250v 800uf range) to replace any dying caps in our power supplies, mainly atx/switchmode…

Turns out it’s (ebay anyway) cheaper to buy a new power supply than repair one! 8$ for 1 250v 800uf cap is insane, 20 bucks more you get a complete power supply with more than 1 “8 dollar capacitor” if one had to buy all the parts a 30 $ psu becomes $300!

Anyway… the main reason for this post, check out the screenshot I took of an ebay seller and how much he wants lol…

I think the shipping charges are high! :astonished:

Seems like a version of this:

cjdelphi:
Anyway… the main reason for this post, check out the screenshot I took of an ebay seller and how much he wants lol…

I think the shipping charges are high! :astonished:

Iv seen it mentioned that this may be a method of money laundering.

Its under the uk reportable limit of 10 k

Buy it and see if they actually have the capacitor. :D

Do you think i might get something else perhaps ?

$8 is a little high based on a quick search of digikey, but high capacitance high voltage caps (even polar ones) get expensive ($5 per). I've had to use 600V 3300uF ones before and they cost $40 and are the size of a coffee mug (maybe even a little taller). It gets even more expensive as you look for low ESR ones.

Personally, I would have back-up functioning power supplies and then figure out how to repair one if it breaks.

I used to have to fix stuff like that, i dont work ther any more. They worked out it was cheaper to use a couple of salaries to fund the purchace of complete spares and store them.

The really expensive stuff gets shipped back to manufacturer to sort out.