220VAC to 12DC

Hi guys

I just wanted to know is it possible to power arduino from 220vac? Well i need to get power to arduino via 220vac. Is it possible? Do i need to have some relay,module or something between Arduino and 220VAC?

Need help with that purple wire

Than you, guys
:}

Select one with 9 volts out!

Pelle

agg_12v_1a.jpg

Pelleplutt:
Select one with 9 volts out!

Pelle

Thank you for answering, but i don’t need adapter. I need something smaller…

Smaller? There are compact usb power supllies ... 9v a must?

rat97:
... I need something smaller ....

Maybe you'd like to elaborate on what "smaller" means, and tell us what other requirements you have? This process goes faster if we don't have to guess.

Is this to big? It’s 5 volt out, do you realy need 12?

Smaller?
How small is your room?

Okey i tell you what i need to do. I need to connect 220VAC wires to Solid state relay, and i want arduino to power it. But i want 220VAC wires to power arduino. I don't want to have extra wires. I need 220VAC wires that are going to Solid state relay and to arduino. I hope you will understand, because i got bad english ;(

Then buy a small 500ma usb phone charger!

Feed the 5v into the 5v (I think vin goes to the regulator) of your arduino.

rat97:
Thank you for answering, but i don't need adapter. I need something smaller....

Well, you do need an adapter; that is what you requested in your first post, so there is no point being stupid about it.

Pelleplutt:
Is this to big? It's 5 volt out, do you really need 12?

Getting back to Grumpy Mike's comments, the majority of cheap adapters of the style pictured, are considered to be little better than the tongue-in-cheek resistor suggestion. In other words, dangerous!

You can indeed use a "USB Charger" to power the Arduino neatly and effectively through its USB port with a USB cable, but it is wise to purchase it from a shop in your own country who can guarantee its safety - presuming of course that your country has effective consumer protection legislation.

Please don't muck us about with "I don't want to have extra wires". You need whatever you need to perform the task, and that is that.

but is it possible to put some very very large resistor. That resists 220v to 12v xD?

Can you drive a horse with a cart?

NO!

That solution is a bit like suicide

Pelle

why not just describe your need ?

there are two basic choices. a transformer or a chopper. transformers are out, way to huge.

the basic premise is that the power supply will create a pwm out that would deliver the voltage needed. it will be horribly choppy, so it would need capacitors and inductors to smooth out the waveform. you can buy or make such a thing. you can buy that plug in wall wart and break the case to get to the gets.
you can make one on a long skinny board.....

We are living in the 21 century and there isn't any way how to convert 220VAC to 12VDC whitout big adapter? Isn't there some resistors, modules, relays, or something small?!

Thank you

think of it as going to the store. we live in the 21st century. is the car any larger than your body ? you are asking for something to do a lot of work physically electricity can jump small gaps, more voltage, larger gaps. the laws of physics comes in to play.
why not design a microchip that just works at 220 volts ?

look at your $5,000 computer. you would be willing to pay whatever price, but they come with a brick on the line. even Apple, with their billions cannot alter the laws of physics.

you can design your own board, use a switching power supply chip, and make it any shape you want. the attached drawing is pretty simple. you do not have to invent anything. that is, until Tony Stark offers a sub-miniature version.

power.png

yeah i guess you are right....

Thank you, man :}

I hope you never ever connect GND to GND.
To the adapter you need lines neutral and live
Live to the SSR
Neutral to load.
Connect SSR to load.

Guess why I am 56, had never connected GND to GND.

Pelle

What is the size and shape you need ? my LM2576 circuit can deliver 2 amps and is less than 1/2 inch in diameter and 3 inches long with screw terminals. Physically about the same size as my NANO. takes 24VAC

some of the suppliers sell these in a very small form factor.

Pelleplutt:
I hope you never ever connect GND to GND.
To the adapter you need lines neutral and live
Live to the SSR
Neutral to load.
Connect SSR to load.

Guess why I am 56, had never connected GND to GND.

Pelle

And THIS is the EXACT reason why Robin2 advises anyone from ever trying to work with 220v.

we hear about all the success of those who get it to work. seems we never hear from those who fail........