240vac Aussie Plug Wiring.

Active Neutral Earth

That's your Aussie Plug 240vac.

Now most of the Xmas lights (10m 100 LED ropes) i'm a little concerned with how i should wire these EU (2 pin) plugs.... does it matter which way it's wired? (since there's no Earth)

Now these cheap LED rope light plugs...

Since Europlugs can be inserted either way round, it doesn't matter which way you wire them.

It'll usually be wrong, whatever you do. :grin: :D

cjdelphi: Now most of the Xmas lights (10m 100 LED ropes) i'm a little concerned with how i should wire these EU (2 pin) plugs.... does it matter which way it's wired? (since there's no Earth)

Yes, both pins should be connected to the secondary of an isolation transformer.

And the assembly mounted securely and completely out of reach.

And check your fire insurance.

EU death plugs (no doubt from China). Imaging you fail to get them aligned correctly and one pin enters whilst the other passes on the outside of the free socket. You now have a 50:50 chance that the exposed pin is live

Ugh…

The point of this question is to find out if it matters which way round it goes…

(I’m chopping the plugs off of them all if you must know…)

The point of this question is to find out if it matters which way round it goes..

and you have been told that it doesn't matter.

jackrae: EU death plugs (no doubt from China).

From China?

Who else manufactures anything?

These EU plugs are only allowed if the complete housing of the device is made with plastic or other isolating material. If you use metal housing then the usage of these plugs is NOT ALLOWED. You have to use plugs with a third contact providing Earth

As a result of this: if you have a device with such a two pin plug you there is now way that you can get in touch with the power as the housing provides this and you can connect ACTIVE to the pin you want.

That's also the reasion why adapters from the 3 pin connectors to the 2 pin plugs are available but NEVER in the other direction.

jackrae: EU death plugs (no doubt from China). Imaging you fail to get them aligned correctly and one pin enters whilst the other passes on the outside of the free socket. You now have a 50:50 chance that the exposed pin is live

It looks like the INTENT is to have the hexagonal recess be deep enough so that the pin won't reach power unless the hexagonal plug fits into the recess. Of course the intent of the design can be circumvented by lazy implementation.

I agree with John Wasser about principle of a rigid recessed coupling but I would be surprised if that transparent material was anything other than a flexible plastic which effectively negates the intent of a "keyed" insertion device.

That's also the reasion why adapters from the 3 pin connectors to the 2 pin plugs are available but NEVER in the other direction.

Ha! :D In the US, we have [u]these[/u].

The cover-mounting screw on a 2-prong outlet is supposed to be grounded and you are supposed screw the ground tab to it. But, most people don't bother connecting the ground and it's kinda' funny they call it a "ground lift" adapter. Or, sometimes people just cut the ground contact off of the male plug!

(2-prong power outlets should only be found in older homes.)