250g

I am making a drone(quadcopter). I estimated the total weight to be 240-250g. So I am running the Motors with 2A current from the I/O Pins through the 2N2222. Can it manage the weight?

That would depend on the power and speed of the motors and the size and lifting capacity of the propellers.
All things you haven't told us about. You may get better answers from a dedicated quadcopter site/forum.

One simple rule of thumb that I've heard for good designs is:

"one amp per ounce and the model won't bounce".

It works for many examples. 250 grams is about 10 ounces, so 10 amps.

The 2N2222 transistor has an absoloute maximum current rating of 800mA. There is no way it can cope with 2A.

Now I calculated the the weight of the drone would be approx. 400gm and I have four 3v 16500 rpm motors with spiral propellers of 11cm length and 3cm with. Now is it possible to fly it properly?

Try it and tell us!

SagarDev:
I am making a drone(quadcopter). I estimated the total weight to be 240-250g. So I am running the Motors with 2A current from the I/O Pins through the 2N2222. Can it manage the weight?

Since a 2n2222 is rated at 800mA, running 2A through it is not a good idea.

Your motors, props and supply voltage are complete unknowns so there is no way to hazard a guess.

You need to sort that out, and along the way read some of the How to tutorials:

http://myfirstdrone.com/build-your-first-quad/

Grumpy_Mike:
The 2N2222 transistor has an absoloute maximum current rating of 800mA. There is no way it can cope with 2A.

Would it be a bad idea to use FETs in parallel to achieve higher load capacity?

Would it be a bad idea to use FETs in parallel to achieve higher load capacity?

Yes that would work, but most FETs are capable of 2A without help.

Note that the 2N2222 is not a FET and can not be paralleled up to increase the current capacity.

SagarDev:
Now I calculated the the weight of the drone would be approx. 400gm and I have four 3v 16500 rpm motors with spiral propellers of 11cm length and 3cm with. Now is it possible to fly it properly?

Try putting an arm on a vertical pivot with the motor and prop at the free end and add weight (batteries?) to where it scales 100 gm then see if it can lift the arm. At least you won't have to build the whole thing to get results.

Grumpy_Mike:
Yes that would work, but most FETs are capable of 2A without help.

Note that the 2N2222 is not a FET and can not be paralleled up to increase the current capacity.

Oh. I got some cheap TTL-level FETs and was "IIRC" that the numbers seemed close.
But I am wrong, I got 50 2N7000's for about $5.

Package TO92
Packaging tape
Type MOSFET
Polarity N-Channel
Max VDS 60V
Continuous IDS 200mA
Threshold VGS 2.1V
RDS (ON) 5Ω
Power Dissipation 0.4W

Not exactly power FET's but they switch easy.

I have four 3v 16500 rpm motors

A 3v 16500 rpm motor doesn't sound like a motor that would work very well.

You can spot weld with 5V and probably 3.

The power in a motor coil field is entirely about the current. Seebeck was able to lift heavy weights with extremely low voltages generated between hot and cold bi-metal junctions almost 200 years ago.

You will need about 20 x 2N7000 in parallel to safely carry 2A. What will you use for the other two motors? :wink:

Weedpharma

Power FET's.

Now is it possible to fly it properly?

Simple to test. Put the propeller on the motor, attach the motor in a vertical position to a flat 100g object, connect the motor leads to your 3v power supply and see if the 100g object is lifted up. If not, time for a new project.

Why do we use brushless motors? Is there any disadvantage if I use normal toy motors(geared)?