2WD ROBOT CAR

Hi all, just getting my grandson interested in Arduino as I consider it to be a good interest for him to have. I purchased him the 2WD Robot car kit and as I am a retired electronics tech, thought it would be a pushover. I was wrong. It came with virtually no instructions other that how to mount the motors to the chassis. No wiring schematics at all. Doing a google search came up with many diagrams, yes, and almost all are different to each other for the same car, supposedly.One of the main areas of confusion is where the control wires from the motor bridge board to the Arduino are soldered. Are they meant to be soldered onto the lower Arduino board, or onto the top shield board? Different diagrams are showing different points. Would anyone have a link to a decent schematic for this project? If so it would be much appreciated.

I purchased him the 2WD Robot car kit

Link, please

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-Tracking-Motor-Robot-Car-Chassis-Kit-2WD-R3-Ultrasonic-For-L298N-Arduino-MCU/152596970493?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

geobee:
One of the main areas of confusion is where the control wires from the motor bridge board to the Arduino are soldered. Are they meant to be soldered onto the lower Arduino board, or onto the top shield board?

That doesn't really matter, as long as the code you write uses the same pin...
Mechanically it's probably more sensible to use the shield

Already somewhat answered by couka while I was writing this, but since this has more information I'll post it anyway:

The "V5 Sensor Shield" (AKA "the top shield board") included in the kit:

Just connects the pins on the Arduino board to various header pins in order to make it easier to connect the cables for various components. There is no magic to the shield. You could connect the L298N module's control wires to the Arduino or to the shield. You will probably be using the shield for convenient connections to the servo motor and the battery holder so it makes sense to also connect the L298N module to the shield.

FYI, it's not really intended that you solder to the shield. Typically, you would use "Dupont" jumper wires to make the connections, which are easy to use for prototyping and experimentation. Strangely, the kit doesn't appear to include any of these. They are available for a reasonable price from any place you would buy this sort of thing. You can get them in male-male, male-female, or female-female configuration. Of course, you are still welcome to solder wires if you prefer.

Many thanks, that clears it up greatly.