3.2" TFT Display w/touch help...

First off, please forgive my ignorance. I am VERY new to Arduino (first attempt at it.), and I am struggling to understand what the problem I am having is...

I just purchased THIS kit for my project, but my efforts to get the display working have been to no avail.

Sadly, none of the code I have tried has worked, I am stuck with a white display. I am not certain if it is the code, or if I am doing this incorrectly. I am now beginning to feel in over my head. I really do not want to give up on this, and I want to see it through. I am confident that with some effort I can get a good handle on this, with some community assistance of course...

Anyhow, my project is to use 10 DS18B20's to monitor temperatures of various components inside my computer (liquid cooling included), and if I can get some guidance on what I am doing incorrectly it would be helpful.

As a preface, some of the code I have tried has given various errors, but even the code that supposedly works (from the seller) just leaves me with a blank screen... Whatever you may need me to upload just let me know.

Thank you all in advance!

~J

Right, first of all, try this.

Download http://www.henningkarlsen.com/electronics/library.php?id=51

Open the example, "UTFT_DEMO_320x240"

Change line 18 to this....UTFT myGLCD(ITDB32S,38,39,40,41);

Good luck.

Graham

Firstly, which one am I meant to pull from? The one in the ARM/Teensy folder, the AVR folder, or the chipKit folder?

Again, please forgive my naivete on the matter. Regardless, I have attempted all three, with the ARM/AVR selections being already written with your changes, and the chipKit one having made the changes, and it appears that I receive an error on all of them before even attempting the upload... The error is as follows:

UTFT_Demo_320x240.pde:13:18: warning: UTFT.h: No such file or directory UTFT_Demo_320x240:25: error: 'UTFT' does not name a type UTFT_Demo_320x240.pde: In function 'void setup()': UTFT_Demo_320x240:32: error: 'myGLCD' was not declared in this scope UTFT_Demo_320x240.pde: In function 'void loop()': UTFT_Demo_320x240:44: error: 'myGLCD' was not declared in this scope UTFT_Demo_320x240:52: error: 'CENTER' was not declared in this scope

You need to use the example for AVR. Also install the Utouch library for touch functions. Both libraries need to be installed in the library folder like explained here. After installing the libraries restart the Arduino IDE.

My apologies for the long delay, for some reason I was not able to load the forums for most of the day.

I am not able to install the libraries at all. It gives me the aforementioned errors when attempting.

I did notice that the AVR was the example I needed to use right after I posted that. I do not need the touch functionality at this point, nor the SD card slot, do I still need to install the libraries...

Additionally, I am getting an error regarding the size of the upload...

This report would have more information with "Show verbose output during compilation" enabled in File > Preferences. Arduino: 1.0.6 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino Uno" Binary sketch size: 39,508 bytes (of a 32,256 byte maximum)

processing.app.debug.RunnerException: Sketch too big; see http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#size for tips on reducing it.

at processing.app.Sketch.size(Sketch.java:1653)

at processing.app.Sketch.build(Sketch.java:1586)

at processing.app.Sketch.build(Sketch.java:1562)

at processing.app.Editor$DefaultRunHandler.run(Editor.java:1899)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

This is perplexing to me, if this single example is too large, how in the world am I going to manage to add the TFT library AND the DS18B20 one.wire library?

reever:
This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
enabled in File > Preferences.
Arduino: 1.0.6 (Windows 7), Board: “Arduino Uno”

This is perplexing to me, if this single example is too large, how in the world am I going to manage to add the TFT library AND the DS18B20 one.wire library?

If you cannot spot the obvious… Board “Arduino Uno” … when your board is Arduino Mega2560… then you are absolutely right… how in the world will you manage to add TFT and DS18B20?? I suspect the simple answer is…you won’t!! :astonished:

And yet you sounded quite intelligent when you used a big word like perplexing:wink:

Best of luck! :confused: :cold_sweat:

Regards,

Graham

Board_Selection!!.jpg

Don't bother! In memorysaver.h (downloaded with UTFT library) uncomment all that displays that you don't use, so is a kind of reducing the memory used. I managed to use this library only for test purposes with Arduino Duemilanove and HX8341 based display. Just copy the code below and replace the content of memorysaver.h

// UTFT Memory Saver
// -----------------
//
// Since most people have only one or possibly two different display modules a lot
// of memory has been wasted to keep support for many unneeded controller chips.
// You now have the option to remove this unneeded code from the library with
// this file.
// By disabling the controllers you don't need you can reduce the memory footprint
// of the library by several Kb.
//
// Uncomment the lines for the displaycontrollers that you don't use to save
// some flash memory by not including the init code for that particular
// controller.

//#define DISABLE_CPLD              1   // EHOUSE50CPLD

#define DISABLE_HX8340B_8       1   // ITDB22 8bit mode
#define DISABLE_HX8340B_S       1   // ITDB22 Serial mode
#define DISABLE_HX8347A         1   // ITDB32
#define DISABLE_HX8352A         1   // ITDB32WD / TFT01_32WD / CTE32W
#define DISABLE_HX8353C           1    // DMTFT18101

#define DISABLE_ILI9325C       1   // ITDB24
#define DISABLE_ILI9325D       1   // ITDB24D / ITDB24DWOT / ITDB28 / TFT01_24_8 / TFT01_24_16 / DMTFT24104 / DMTFT28103   - This single define will disable both 8bit and 16bit mode for this controller
#define DISABLE_ILI9325D_ALT        1   // CTE28
#define DISABLE_ILI9327         1   // ITDB32WC / TFT01_32W
#define DISABLE_ILI9341_S4P     1   // MI0283QT9
#define DISABLE_ILI9341_S5P     1   // TFT01_22SP / TFT01_24SP / TFT22SHLD / DMTFT28105
#define DISABLE_ILI9481         1   // CTE32HR
#define DISABLE_ILI9486         1   // CTE40

#define DISABLE_PCF8833         1   // LPH9135

#define DISABLE_R61581          1   // CTE35IPS

#define DISABLE_S1D19122       1   // ITDB25H
#define DISABLE_S6D0164         1   // CTE22 / DMTFT22102
#define DISABLE_S6D1121         1   // ITDB24E  - This single define will disable both 8bit and 16bit mode for this controller
//#define DISABLE_SSD1289           1   // ITDB32S / TFT01_32 / ELEE32_REVA / ELEE32_REVB / CTE32   - This single define will disable both 8bit, 16bit and latched mode for this controller
#define DISABLE_SSD1963_480     1   // ITDB43 / TFT01_43
#define DISABLE_SSD1963_800     1   // ITDB50 / TFT01_50 / CTE50 / EHOUSE50
#define DISABLE_SSD1963_800_ALT 1   // TFT01_70 / CTE70 / EHOUSE70
#define DISABLE_ST7735          1   // ITDB18SP
#define DISABLE_ST7735_ALT      1   // TFT01_18SHLD
//#define DISABLE_ST7735S           1   // TFT01_18SP

@nico_2010

Slow down a bit there newbie..... He is far from the tweaking and optimising stage just yet!!! Trivialities like correct board setting need addressing first!!

But yes, your advice will serve him well further down the line when he needs to save a couple of Kb. :slight_smile:

Regards,

Graham

ghlawrence2000:
If you cannot spot the obvious… Board “Arduino Uno” … when your board is Arduino Mega2560… then you are absolutely right… how in the world will you manage to add TFT and DS18B20?? I suspect the simple answer is…you won’t!! :astonished:

And yet you sounded quite intelligent when you used a big word like perplexing:wink:

Best of luck! :confused: :cold_sweat:

Regards,

Graham

Wow… So tired of people like you on the internet… How does it feel to have learned something before someone else has? Do you feel super duper now? I certainly hope so, because clearly trying to impress others with your ‘vast superiority’ is perhaps your only way to feel just GREAT!!! Eat some frosted flakes instead next time…

Now that we’re done measuring our… Whatevers…

Back to the ACTUAL reason we’re here… I seem to recall it being something to do with Arduino…

I ALREADY SAID THAT THIS IS MY FIRST ATTEMPT WITH THIS. But since you missed that, I’ll help you with that part… Intelligence and ignorance are different things, with regards to Arduino I am ignorant… Now, Two months ago I was given six to nine months to live, due to kidney failure and cancer eating away at my insides, so, I do not really have the time to learn all of the intricacies of Arduino, which is why I posted in the ‘Project Guidance’ forum, I have been building computers for seventeen years, I haven’t done any sort of programming in about twelve years, and even that was minimal HTML… So if you are willing to assist me with a project I would like to complete (My ‘Ultimate Computer’) while I am still able, I would be greatly appreciative, however, if you aren’t then please just keep your comments to yourself.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

~J

I [u]did[/u] help! The board you have is a MEGA2560, the board you have selected in the IDE is Arduino UNO, clearly obvious from your own error log, and the picture I included showed ABSOLUTELY clearly enough how to rectify the lack of memory issue.......... Tools => Board => Mega2560. Once you have done that, and installed UTFT library into the correct location, that will go a good way towards removing the errors you have.

Any further problems, post again.

Regards,

Graham

Reeva,

Here is a previous post of mine, apologies if I came over unduly.

ghlawrence2000: I have previously mentioned feelings very similar to the OP about the attitudes of the Brattains and Faradays of this forum. There is one name in particular with in-excess of 52000 posts that I have never seen post ANYTHING positive, just sarcasm and derision.

It is not helpful or constructive, and so what if the question is something so stupid and simple it is not worth the brattainless members time or energy? The effort they put into the shi**y answer could just as well be used towards a helpful reply thus making the new member feel more welcome and less afraid to ask again if they need help.

To this end, I have started taking more of an active interest in the forums, and not just used them to answer my questions, but if I see a newbie asking a question no matter how stupid, I will do my best to answer if I can, just to show that member that not all of us are ass**les!!

Regards,

Graham

You are absolutely right. I apologize. You did indeed help, and I did not respond well to the perceived negativity of your comment. That was THE issue with not getting the display working. I was unaware of the setting to change the device you are using.

That being said, I feel that an apology is terribly inadequate, the medications that I am on have been making me... A different person... Is about the best way to say it. I am not normally the type to respond in such a way, and I do hope that you can understand the challenge that my present situation is creating, however, that is no excuse for my outburst. I do hope that you can understand and forgive my unfortunate response.

So, I am already on my way to adjusting font colors, and location, I know that I will have some additional questions, but this was, to me, the beginning of getting this going, just to have a working example to make changes with and learn from. I am not terribly skilled at learning from example/reading, I have to learn by experience...

Once again, my most sincere apologies for my outburst, having re-read what I wrote is somewhat embarrassing, to say the least.

Somewhat Ironic, my first 'error' on this site tells me:

"The message has the following error or errors that must be corrected before continuing: Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post."

Well, having read your reply I can see that my apology is even less sufficient... :)

You are more than welcome, and no apology required. I am really happy you have something working! I actually feel a little guilty about my bombastic outburst to you also, sorry!

My hobby over the years has also been building computers, and some years ago I built an 'Ultimate machine', so you have piqued my interest, may I ask what your machine is?

Regards,

Graham