3.2" TFT LCD Choice

I am wondering which one of these LCDs are better?

http://iteadstudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=57_58&products_id=263

Of course the 4D Systems one is more expensive, but is it better? And are they as fast as each other?

Thanks.

There is one difference between the two screens you linked - the 4D systems one has an "embedded graphics controller" of their own design on it. That means that for the more expensive screen, you just need a serial connection to it (RX, TX) from your arduino.

The first one has a driver, but not a controller. Running it would consume most of the pins of the arduino, and require a lot more programming.

Both ways work. the 4D systems screen will be faster to implement, and i suspect faster for a lot of things, since it has a 24bit channel to the LCD driver, while you would only have an 8 bit channel to the LCD driver. Plus it can pull images from the SD card and display them without going through the arduino.

Hi!

Please see my full review of the 4D Labs LCD with links to the library I wrote and more.

Enjoy :slight_smile:

I've seen your page, that's when I got interested.

I have been keeping an eye on the LCD for about 6 months now. But as I wasn't sure if I will be able to use it or not, I haven't bought one!

Have you used the other type apart from the 4DSystems one? If so, how do they compare with the 4D ones?

How do you find the 4D systems one?

Thanks.

Hi!

I've been using a 20x4 characters LCD but it's sluggish. I haven't tried other LCD from 4D but the ?LCD-32PT(SGC) 3.2” Serial LCD Display Module.

This LCD comes in two flavours: SGC and GFX. SGC allows serial connection.

From 4D Labs website:

How To Decide Between GFX or SGC:
The architecture of the base PICASO chip is such that it can be reconfigured to operate in 2 distinctively different ways. To configure the device, a PmmC (Personality Module Micro-Code) is downloaded via its serial port. There are 2 types of PmmC available for PICASO.

SGC PmmC:
By loading the SGC (Slave Graphics Controller) PmmC, the module is 'ready to go' by simply connecting it to the serial port of your favourite micro-controller, and sending serial commands to it.
The Serial Command Set for PICASO can be found here:

GFX PmmC:
By loading the GFX (Stand-Alone Graphics Controller) PmmC, the module is then like a microprocessor which you program, using the 4DGL language (very similar to C), to control the internal graphics and external interfaces.
The 4DGL language command set and functions for PICASO can be found here:

The 4D LCD offers great value with touch and SD card. The built-in processor makes it very fast and doesn't use the Arduino processing power.

Now, there are many 4D Picasso instructions, and they need to be adapted for an easy use. Instead of sending ASCII codes

G 0, 200, 0, 160, 0, 160, 0, 80, 100, 60, 0xff, 0xff

simply write

myLCD.triangle(200, 160, 160, 80, 100, 60, 0xffff)

That's the purpose of my library. Check it out at my website with examples.

Enjoy :slight_smile:

Cheers man!

Will look into it.

Where are you based? The US? Where did you buy your LCD from apart from SParKfun?

Matin.

Hi!

I'm based in Europe. I bought the LCD from RobotShop.