3.3v and Sound

Hi, I’m new to these forums and pretty new to physical computing. I’m trying to create an Arduino sound project and am looking for some guidance. I’ve been playing around with bit banging and using a sensor to change the sound frequency with an analogue read. What would be the best, yet easiest approach to get more voices/less shrill sound out of the Arduino. I was really trying to go for some Eno-like sort of drones.

Also, I’m working with an Arduino Mini Pro 3.3v for this project, which may be prohibitive. I’ve read some good introductions and read about the different methods of production. I’m just not sure what would work best for a small low voltage application. Thank you very much.

Look here for ideas:- http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Main/InterfacingWithHardware#audio_generation

voices/less shrill sound out of the Arduino

Your not going to generate much subtle out of the 8 bit output from an Arduino, I would suggest you generate MIDI with it and get the sound that way.

3v3 should not be an issue here.

I don’t think the 3.3V should be a problem, but that device runs at 8MHz, which may have some subtle timing differences. millis() will work as expected, but bit-banging things may be half-speed.