3.5 mm jack

Hello, I recently got a 3.5 mm jack module and I can't figure out how to get music to play through it, anyone have ideas?

Does this relate to the Arduino? If so, connect the ground terminal to the Arduino's ground and connect the other terminal(s) to a digital output.

Do NOT plug headphones or a 4 or 8 Ohm speaker directly into the Arduino. You can connect headphones through a 200 Ohm resistor (or a higher value resistor if you want it quieter). With a speaker, use an amplifier or use "powered" computer speakers.

Then try the [u]Melody Example[/u].

If you want to play "real music" such as MP3s, you'll need an MP3/audio shield (and it may come with it's own 3.5mm jack).

What if I use a SD card module would I be able to play MP3's from that?

There is a [u]TMRpcm[/u] library for playing WAV files but the "regular" Arduino doesn't have a digital-to-analog converter so you have to use PWM which doesn't give you great sound quality.

I don't believe there is an MP3 decoder library. I don't know if there's enough processing power to decode the MP3 while playing it. And, there are legal issues since MP3 is patented and you're supposed to pay a royalty if you distribute an MP3 encoder or decoder. An MP3 shield has an MP3 decoder built into the chip (and presumably the manufacturer is paying the royalty).

I don't know if there's enough processing power to decode the MP3 while playing it.

I do, there isn't.

I'm not worried about copyright, I'm not looking to distribute my system, as I don't have permission for each module none the less Arduino them self's so not to worried I just wanna test my 3.5 mm jack module, I don't even know if it works yet, .MP3 . WAV idc tbh I just want it to be able to play/do something you know?

skullboneslayer:
Hello, I recently got a 3.5 mm jack module and I can't figure out how to get music to play through it, anyone have ideas?

My idea is for you to post a link to what module you have. It is hard to give you any help without knowing what you have.

absolutly fair enouph, here is a link to my module

Sorry but that is just a socket. You can't use it to create or play music. It is just an easy way to connect to a socket.

sorry I'm not sure what you mean, just a socket? what can I use this for?

Yep. That's literally a few strips of metal. You'd get the same result soldering 3 wires onto a headphone plug. Or in fact just chopping off a plug from the wire and using the 3 wires inside.
Nothing magical is going to happen between the plug and those pins.

Tho's 3 wires inside is what provides the power and the ground to control the speakers? so wouldn't It work in the same way? with the pins? also if what your saying is true what can I use this for?

The module literally does nothing other than change the shape of the connection. It provides nothing. It's a fancy 4 paperclips. Your tone of 'if what you**'re** saying is true' as if you're doubting the people here repeatedly telling you the same thing gives a strong impression that you are convinced this waste of money does something magical.

Tho’s 3 wires inside is what provides the power and the ground to control the speakers? so wouldn’t It work in the same way? with the pins?

The signal has to come from somewhere… Like I said, you can run the Melody example or you can use a [u]MP3 Shield[/u].

I’m not worried about copyright, I’m not looking to distribute my system, as I don’t have permission for each module

It’s a moot point since Mike has confirmed that an MP3 decoder won’t run on the Arduino.

My point was that somebody has to distribute the code to you and they are supposed to pay a royalty, and presumably they wouldn’t give it to you free.

However, LAME is an open source MP3 encoder/decoder so the code is freely available. You can’t download a “working” CODEC from the official LAME website. You can only download the source code “for learning purposes”.

But, you can find working LAME encoders other places on the Internet where nobody is paying the royalty. (These are for PCs, not for the Arduino.)

An MP3 decoder is built into the chip on the MP3 shield and the chip manufacturer has paid the royalty.

INTP:
The module literally does nothing other than change the shape of the connection. It provides nothing. It’s a fancy 4 paperclips. Your tone of 'if what you**‘re** saying is true’ as if you’re doubting the people here repeatedly telling you the same thing gives a strong impression that you are convinced this waste of money does something magical.

Well… I’m not trying to sound condescending in anyway it’s just how I talk… and I don’t expect something “magical” to happen I was just hoping there would be a way, also it was just $.95 so I’m not that worried about wasting the money lol

DVDdoug:
The signal has to come from somewhere... Like I said, you can run the Melody example or you can use a [u]MP3 Shield[/u].
It's a moot point since Mike has confirmed that an MP3 decoder won't run on the Arduino.

My point was that somebody has to distribute the code to you and they are supposed to pay a royalty, and presumably they wouldn't give it to you free.

However, LAME is an open source MP3 encoder/decoder so the code is freely available. You can't download a "working" CODEC from the official LAME website. You can only download the source code "for learning purposes".

But, you can find working LAME encoders other places on the Internet where nobody is paying the royalty. (These are for PCs, not for the Arduino.)

An MP3 decoder is built into the chip on the MP3 shield and the chip manufacturer has paid the royalty.

Oh ok thanK you for clearing that up