3-9.6V DC Motor sucking too much power on Arduino?

I have a small 3-9.6v DC motor that I’ve been trying to power directly through my Arduino Uno R3 5V and GND pins.
The problem is that when I do this, the lights on the Arduino quickly dim and the motor and the board both turn off in a matter of a second or two but if I then disconnect the motor, the Arduino powers back on.

What is going on? I’ve tested this motor with 2x and 4x AA batteries and it works fine but it seems as if it is sucking too much power when hooked to the Arduino such that the board shuts off?
If I hook up to one of the digital pins with no power by default and then trigger it through programming, nothing happens.

I have little to no electrical knowledge so I’m hoping if someone can explain to me what’s going on.

This is the motor’s technical specifications http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/cgi-bin/catalog/e_catalog.cgi?CAT_ID=rs_360sh

The tiny vibra motor in your mobile takes more current than an Arduino pin can source - imagine how much current a motor you can actually see takes.
Go over to the playground for hints on driving motors.

Maybe think about replacing your Arduino.

Thanks for the reply.
I had a feeling it was some sort of limitation of the Arduino board.
I will therefore hook the motor up to an independent power supply.

EngineerWannabe:
Thanks for the reply.
I had a feeling it was some sort of limitation of the Arduino board.
I will therefore hook the motor up to an independent power supply.

Microcontrollers are not typically meant to provide power: they more usually control that power somehow. So have a look at pages like this one which uses a transistor as a switch which is in turn controlled by an Arduino pin.

If you want to get fancy and control speed and direction, then have a butchers at this