3 Futaba S3003 servos powered by 6v DV not performing well

I hope my subject line is specific enough...

I have 3 Futaba S3003 http://www.servodatabase.com/servo/futaba/s3003. They are powered by a 6V ~1-1.5amp adapter. I am using the standard Arduino Servo lib and I've noticed the servos seem to have a non consistent performance. Sometimes they each move to exactly where I want but other times they are either slow to react or do not react at all. Could there potentially be a setup order to make sure the Arduino knows the PPM? (eg, plug in Arduino via USB, then plug in power source for servos...). Would any plug order even matter?? I have earthed the power source to the Arduino. I just point this out because it seems to be forgotten by many users.

I am using the PWN outs 9,10,11. It just seems like the servos are under powered sometimes. Does this sound right?

thanks!

ould there potentially be a setup order to make sure the Arduino knows the PPM?

No. PPM is used in R/C systems only between transmitter and receiver, but the pulses themselves are PWM.

I'd budget more current - try supplying the servos from four AAs and see how that goes.

OK, more current does make sense. Thanks for the reply

Out of curiosity, why would 4x 1.5v AA batteries be better than mains 6v mains power?

No, you'd struggle to get 3 or 4A out of AA batteries. RC servos are designed to be powered by LiPo or LiFePO4 batteries which will provide 10's of amps without sweating. The battery boxes for AA cells can have problems with more than 0.5A even so its not a great approach for high current.

MarkT: No, you'd struggle to get 3 or 4A out of AA batteries. RC servos are designed to be powered by LiPo or LiFePO4 batteries which will provide 10's of amps without sweating. The battery boxes for AA cells can have problems with more than 0.5A even so its not a great approach for high current.

And yet I regularly used to fly 3 or 4 channel models on four AAs, either alkaline or NiCd. Go figure.