3 Phase Variable Frequency Drive - Arduino Duemilanove

Hello all.

A friend loaned me a Arduino Duemilanove, and after playing around with it a bit i decided that my VFD Project, originally dsPIC30F411 based, will be developed on the Duemilanove. I have no idea if the tiny 328 chip has the power needed to do this task, but ill give it a try. If it can’t handle the work, ill port the project back to the dsPIC. I will be documenting the project in this thread and likely be asking for help too! Thanks in advance!

trum4n:
Hello all.

A friend loaned me a Arduino Duemilanove, and after playing around with it a bit i decided that my VFD Project, originally dsPIC30F411 based, will be developed on the Duemilanove. I have no idea if the tiny 328 chip has the power needed to do this task, but ill give it a try. If it can't handle the work, ill port the project back to the dsPIC. I will be documenting the project in this thread and likely be asking for help too! Thanks in advance!

Should be doable as the mega8 chip (the mega 328 grandparent) is the basis for many 3 phase DC brush-less motor driver circuits. Most such applications are probably programmed in assembler language rather then the C/C++ platform the arduino uses but depending on your specific experience it should be able to be done. I believe I've read some AVR application notes for performing 3 phase PWM output so you might search their web site.

Good luck
Lefty

Thanks, Lefty. I intend to start with C and use Assembly to refine it as needed to increase the speed.

How is your project going? Have you seen http://digitalcommons.calpoly.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1129&context=eesp ?