3 pin OLED not working [SOLVED]

I have tried finding libraries that work. The built in one works with non i2c displays. Other things I have found that work for i2c chips all work on 4 pins. The display I have is a 3 pin display, only one pin for data. Some information here: http://www.picaxe.com/docs/axe133.pdf (also attached). This is a bit general and it shows how to use it with picaxe chips which I know how to do, but can this be used with the arduino at all, or do I need to use a 4 pin i2c display or one without the i2c chip?

axe133[1].pdf (1010 KB)

Why are you using the term I2C in your topic heading?

Search for RS232 LCD backpack or Peter Anderson LCD backpack.

Don

Why are you using the term I2C in your topic heading?

Because I didn't know any better.

Search for RS232 LCD backpack or Peter Anderson LCD backpack.

Couldn't really find much.

I have now done some more fiddling and used some 'Serial.write' and got it flashing the tx light and I can see what its outputting by looking at the serial monitor at 19200. But I still don't know where to connect my data pin to. I don't think it helps that I'm using an arduino mega, as some guides that looked promising simply don't program for the mega.

Couldn't really find much.

I'm not sure that you know what you are looking for.

It looks like you have a device that is based on one of the earliest serial adapters for parallel LCD modules, one that was designed by P H Anderson. He has since passed on but similar devices are (or were) available from both 'moderndevice.com', 'wulfden.org' and probably some others.

Their devices might not look like yours but, since they use the same command set, programs written for them should work with your device with minimal changes.

It doesn't matter whether you are using a Mega, a UNO, a PICAXE, or a Commodore 20 - what you have to do is send the correct serial signals at the correct baud rate and at the correct voltage levels to the data pin on your device.

Don

Always try 9600 baud first. It is / was the standard baud rate used by most things.

You can probably just say Serial1.print("David") without any initialisation or escape sequences.

Just do a bit of trial and error. e.g. baud and Serial port. The try some sample escapes. I bet that it will follow some public protocol.

David.

After some more searching I stumbled accross a AXE 133Y library which works with one data pin serial OLED screens. Although I'm using an AXE 133 thing to interface with the OLED it still works. Although it is a serial OLED I couldn't get it working using built in serial write commands. The main issue I had was not knowing which pin to use, with this library it allows you to change which pin. This can be any pin that does output which is nice. Thanks for your advice.