315Mhz RF link kit - how does it work?

Hi,

I found 315Mhz RF link kit: http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/315mhz-rf-link-kit-p-76.html
This is compatible with PT2262 encoder chip and PT2272 decoder chip.

I would like to know how it works…

Does it work like this… ?
Transmitter + Encoder ------- Receiver + Decoder
When I set some Encoder pins HIGH I get the same pins on Decoder HIGH.

Thanks for help!

I’ve been using the 2262/2272 as supplied in a keyfob transmitter and “naked” receiver. From the looks of it, the pair you are looking at are probably a serial-like connection, but I can’t seem to find more details on it. That pdf linked to on the product page only tells you how to set up an encoder/decoder pair with those 2272’s.

I suspect you might be happier using one of the better-documented but very similar transmitter-receiver sets at SparkFun and similar, like; http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=7813

There are several threads in this forum describing how to send an encoded signal through this from Arduino to Arduino (or similar).

I’m following the same path myself, having gotten tired of the 100’ range and long lag time of the 2272 devices I’d been using.

Hi,
Does it work like this… ?
Transmitter + Encoder ------- Receiver + Decoder
When I set some Encoder pins HIGH I get the same pins on Decoder HIGH.

Thanks for help!

It should be MCU → Encoder → Transmitter ------ Receiver → Decoder → MCU,

PT2272 and PT2262 are optional, their existence is to 1)avoid confusing when multiple RF links in range 2) isolate disturbance. You can integrate the encoding and decoding work to the MCUs on both side. Whenever there is no 315Mhz devices around, you may use it as direct cable connection.

Excuse for the documentation, we will work on them. Before that, please consult us for any details, we are happy to find the answer for you ^^ We tried them using the guide from Sparkfun, it’s compatible. The only difference is in package, of some excess GND pins.

More over, we will make more RF modules ourselves with different frequency and capacity. The next one in plan is based on TI cc1100. Please suggest us about your need :slight_smile:

Can you elaborate on the range (distance) of these?

It should be MCU → Encoder → Transmitter ------ Receiver → Decoder → MCU,

PT2272 and PT2262 are optional, their existence is to 1)avoid confusing when multiple RF links in range 2) isolate disturbance. You can integrate the encoding and decoding work to the MCUs on both side. Whenever there is no 315Mhz devices around, you may use it as direct cable connection.

Excuse for the documentation, we will work on them. Before that, please consult us for any details, we are happy to find the answer for you ^^ We tried them using the guide from Sparkfun, it’s compatible. The only difference is in package, of some excess GND pins.

More over, we will make more RF modules ourselves with different frequency and capacity. The next one in plan is based on TI cc1100. Please suggest us about your need :slight_smile:

This is what I call professional help! :slight_smile:
Thanks!

Sounds nice and a good price. Have you looked into a combination board that fits into one of the available keyfob shapes? That’s the direction I’ve been moving in – with AVR instead of PT2262 (programmed for simple encoding and switch debounce).

(Err…I guess what I meant is I’d love if anyone had seen around a complete keyfob transmitter that you could reach in and customize via ISP).

Can you elaborate on the range (distance) of these?

This is determined by 1) Vcc - higher the further, 2) Antenna, 3) Encoding and Decoding to filter out noises.

According to the document, it goes 100-300 meters with external antenna (a straight cable will be Ok). We were testing them under 5V vcc with no antenna in 10 meters range, they work fine.

thanks ^^

Sounds nice and a good price. Have you looked into a combination board that fits into one of the available keyfob shapes? That’s the direction I’ve been moving in – with AVR instead of PT2262 (programmed for simple encoding and switch debounce).

(Err…I guess what I meant is I’d love if anyone had seen around a complete keyfob transmitter that you could reach in and customize via ISP).

There must be some, I’ll keep an eye on them. :slight_smile: