32u4 Compatible CPU (Leonardo bootloader)

Hi guys,

I have a project that requires me to input data to a PC. Currently using a leonardo, however buying a MEGA32u4 seems to be a rather costly choice.

Was wondering if there is a similar bootloader for the MEGA16U2, i know these are already used as HID devices when paired with a mega/UNO...

Thanks

Maybe:

I'm sure you are aware that clone versions of the 32U4 Micro Mini from Sparkfun are under $5 from Aliexpress.

While not what you asked, other options I have used:

http://www.hackster.io/rayburne/arduino-to-excel-using-v-usb

Ray

I know, probably cheaper than I can get the CPU on its own :wink:

I want to bundle a 24L01 radio and a CPU on a neat usb dongle package. Could do without the unnecessary stuff (which I have a at the moment, a mini, a micro usb cable and a spi cable to the radio lol)

How easy to work are the VUSB drivers? I occasionally need to use the device on computers with restricted access, so anything not standard wont be easy to install (Have this problem with the USBASP, for example)

casemod:
<…>
How easy to work are the VUSB drivers? I occasionally need to use the device on computers with restricted access, so anything not standard wont be easy to install (Have this problem with the USBASP, for example)

V-USB is generally accepted by all OS using native OS HID drivers. The downside is that the uC implementation is S/W is 1.1 USB only. The circuit is easy, but the zener diodes are critical components.

If you use the 328P code I used by RancidBacon, it will require ArduinoIDE 1.0.5

Ray

Thanks.

Ive been investigating this and playing around with a few different solutions.

While the VUSB worked reasonably well, I ended up using this

The 16u* Series of mcu's actually suits me very well. They are less expensive than the Leonardo, and provide the USB connectivity/programming all into a single package, which is also significantly smaller in terms of footprint.

PS: I used the VUSB without the zeners, with the MCU supplied at 3.3V, works a treat!