32x32 RGB LED matrix with arduino

Hi Guys

I am fairly new to the world of arduino, however i am currently taking part in a final year university project. The project is to display video, and webcam capture onto a 32x32 RGB LED matrix comprising of 16 of the 8x8 sparkfun serial matrices. The software and processing side of the project is already complete using max msp that eventually outputs serial data to the arduino.

This being said we are struggling to find any information to how we would set up and send data to the 4 rows of 4 matrices using an arduino uno.

I appreciate that they are many similar posts out there on the web concerning arduino and the sparkfun matrices, but i just dont seem to be finding the answers i require.

Any help or pointers would greatly be appreciated.

Many Thanks Jack

What color depth are you trying to drive the RGB LEDs to? And what framerates are you trying to achieve with this display?

The answers to those two questions are going to dictate how complex your communication scheme with the 16 arduinos is going to need to be.

At 32 bit RGB color depth, you're looking at 4kbyte frames. A single RS-232 line at 115200 baud will only have enough bandwidth for a couple frames per second.

Hi Thank you for your reply.

I am looking to drive the LEDS to a colour depth of 5 bits with a framrate of 25/30 fps.

Regarding the 16 arduinos are you suggesting i would need more than 1 arduino or is it simply a misunderstanding of the 16 8x8 matrices i am using.

Thanks again.

Jack

Regarding the 16 arduinos are you suggesting i would need more than 1 arduino

Yes, multiplexing a 32 X 32 matrix is too much for one arduino.

I am looking to drive the LEDS to a colour depth of 5 bits with a framrate of 25/30 fps.

So do you mean red / green and blue with 5 bits each? If so you are out of arduino territory. That might be why you are having trouble finding any information.

I have a single arduino running a 32x32 matrix, along with a 8 bit colour scheme.