3D laser scanner

Hi, I am building a 3D laser scanner using laser line triangulation. However there are two issues:

• Based on other threads, the arduino doesn't seem to be powerful enough to write image data to external media in real time, which is especially a problem as I was hoping to speed up the scanning process by capturing images from two separate cameras at 15 FPS. Is there a way to do this (without using a laptop, maybe using multiple Arduino Megas)? If the problem lies in speed of extenal media, what are the image processing capacities of the Arduino like? It would be possible to do some very basic image processing to reduce the data size (only saving the co-ordinates of the brightest pixel on each line).

• I can't find any decent camera modules with a resolution higher than 640x480 (apart from this one: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8668 (which would be the ideal camera if it weren't for the fact that no-one has managed to take photos with it.)

Thanks.

I was hoping to speed up the scanning process by capturing images from two separate cameras at 15 FPS.

No problem. The Arduino is perfectly capable of triggering the camera more often than that.

If the problem lies in speed of extenal media

What external media?

what are the image processing capacities of the Arduino like?

They are like non-existent.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I would like to save the images on an SD card.

I use these cameras at work, they have avail SDK's

ptgrey.com

there is a good hack using the Playstation 3 - PS3eye cam- not sure if it would fit your needs, but i've used it for past projects. different budget range.

it would be a challenge to pull data from an imaging sensor, do some math on it to find your points, and then write it to a card. trying to do this with an Arduino - i don't have enough experience to say its not possible, but it's gonna be a challenge.

_J

Thanks for the links, however PTgrey are a bit out of my price range, do you know of any cameras in the price range between the PS3 eyecam and the PTgrey, around £60 ($100)?

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/grove-serial-camera-p-945.html I'm using this one. It's 640x480. The best thing about it compared to Sparkfun is that it works!