3D Printing - Adding Print Time, Finish Time etc to EXTERNAL Display

I have several 3D printers and use them for business purposes.

One of the things I've always wanted to have displayed (on a separate LCD display) would be Current Time Elapsed Since Print Began, Estimated Time of Print Completion and Print Time Remaining.

Right now, the firmware is capable of displaying the Elapsed Time Since Print Began.

But what I want is a dedicated (extra) LCD display that displays the following by default all the time.

1). Elapsed Time (since print started)
2). Approximate time to Complete
3). Time Remaining
4). Line Number (in 3D printing, this is the program line number)
5). Current Z Position (Print Nozzle Height From Bed)

I understand Sailfish Firmware does have Time remaining as one of it's displayed parameters, but I'm hesitant to change my firmware for fear of "bricking" my printers mainboard.

I'm just beginning this project so it may take a while to even find out if it's possible.

If you have any information that might help please chime in.

Thanks

Creating the display with an Arduino is certainly possible. But how would the Arduino get the necessary data from the 3D printer?

And you have not even told us what 3D printers you are using or what software is controlling them.

It would probably be more fruitful to ask our question on a Forum dedicated to 3D printers - ideally lke the ones you are using. Maybe try the RepRap Forum.

...R

Robin2:
Creating the display with an Arduino is certainly possible. But how would the Arduino get the necessary data from the 3D printer?

And you have not even told us what 3D printers you are using or what software is controlling them.

It would probably be more fruitful to ask our question on a Forum dedicated to 3D printers - ideally lke the ones you are using. Maybe try the RepRap Forum.

...R

3D printers are largely based on the same technology. Under the hood it doesn't make a lot of difference.
A power supply, a Mainboard / Stepper driver, the mechanical printing hardware.....They're pretty simple actually.

What I'm hoping is that there are some really knowledgeable 3D printer gurus here (that also know Arduino).
If I post this at the 3D printer forums they'll say "You should post this at the Arduino forums"

Besides, most of the 3D printer forums are dreadfully quite.

Under the hood it doesn't make a lot of difference.

Yes it does if you want to extract data from it. The functions are similar but the detailed are different.

quamikazee:
3D printers are largely based on the same technology. Under the hood it doesn't make a lot of difference.
A power supply, a Mainboard / Stepper driver, the mechanical printing hardware.....They're pretty simple actually.

Interestingly, none of the components you mention has any relevance to getting data about print time.

I have a 3D printer and I send the GCode to it using a PC program (I use Pronterface, but there are several available). The PC program tells me how long the print will take when it opens the GCode file. It would be possible (I won't say it would be easy) to modify the PC program to start a count-down when I press "Print".

If you have the source code for the software on your printer I suspect you could modify it to do something similar However having had a brief look at the code for the Marlin 3D printer program I suspect it would be quite a challenge to do without screwing up something else.

The simplest solution would be to get a simple count-down clock (kitchen timer?) that you start when you start a print.

...R