3D Scanner based on record turntable

I've had an idea to build a 3D scanner for about 15 years. I start with a record turntable, a laser pointer and two cameras, creating a point cloud. I found my inspiration online at that time in college project that I have since lost the link to.
My electronics knowledge is a bit better than 1970s auto mechanic's training. Beyond that I have 10 years mainframe operations experience and taught myself cobol and C programing.
Since coming across Arduino hardware last year I can now see a way forward and have collected 'compatible' hardware made under the brand name of duinotech, purchased from https://www.jaycar.com.au/ this includes Uno and Mega boards with (XC4411 & XC4421) and without wifi (XC4410 & XC4411), Ethernet Expansion Module shield (XC4412), 5V Stepper Motors (XC4458), OV76?? cameras and Red Laser Diode Module (XC4490).
My basic idea is attaching a ring gear to the turntable and rotate it in 1 degree steps with one of the steppers and raise the camera with the other stepper with the images either recorded on a SD or send to my desktop for processing, with the aim of 3D printing the result.
I would love to hear from anyone to share ideas or comments etc.

Stepper motors go in steps, not degrees.
Paul

Your basic approach should work fine, and you will learn a lot. Should be fun!

However, these days there are software packages that merge multiple photos, taken from different points of view, to automatically produce point clouds (photogrammetry). You may wish to review some of these options, which include expensive commercial packages and some free, open source ones. Here is one overview of available packages.

gearing turns steps into degrees of rotation of the turntable. I already have 3D printed the gear set