3rd party arduino nano various com errors when uploading

Hello all,

My experience is beginner, with several 3D printers and a few GPS projects under my belt. I have purchased a set of arduino nano's made by elegoo, a popular (cheaper) 3rd party manufacturer. I have used their Mega 2560 in the past with great success. Now though, with the 328P based nano, I am getting one of two errors:

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM8
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 57600

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM8": The system cannot find the file specified.

or

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM8": Access is denied

My attempted fixes:
In device manager, I can see my arduino in the com/port section, it is updated, and I have installed the correct drivers (CH340G, which is what these boards have). I have successfully changed the com port # to everything between 1 and 15, but it doesn't change the end result. Windows even makes the stereotypical "device plugged in noise". Elegoo's information says in the IDE to use the Arduino nano settings, ATMega 328P (old bootloader), and I have the correct com port selected in the IDE (which does disappear when unplugged). I have also successfully uploaded the same code, in the same IDE instance, to an adafruit-braded nano and my elegoo mega2560, so I know the IDE is working. I have tried 3 different USB cables on 4 different USB ports, both with and without extensions, USB2.0 and 3.0, no change. The nano I got came in a 3 pack. One I have glued/soldered into my project, the other is bare with nothing plugged in, both still get the same errors. Trying to open the serial monitor returns "Error opening serial port 'COM8'. (Port busy)" I have also tried to upload as an Arduino Uno, since that's what adafruit's nano needs, with no change. I later read something in elegoos manual about 9600 being the correct baud rate, so I changed it in the boards.txt file with no change.

"Get board info" returns this:
BN: Unknown board
VID: 1A86
PID: 7523
SN: Upload any sketch to obtain it

I know the support for 3rd party chips is spotty, but the item has tons of great reviews online with several people just saying download the driver and it's off to the races, and my PC recognizes it's connected. Something just isn't letting me access the com port? No other com-using programs are running.

Try restarting your computer. Sometimes a glitch causes the port to get stuck in an unusable state and restarting fixes that.

Actually once you have the correct drivers support itself is pretty good (not spotty)

Avoid manually changing the COM port as that can also mess things up.
If that is what you did you may have to reset the COM stack

What can be spotty is USB 3.n support so where possible use USB 2.0 ports.

On clone boards especially the NANO you may also have to select OLD BOOTLOADER too when picking out the board.

Could you also take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.

Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.
It will help you get the best out of the forum in the future.

pert:
Try restarting your computer. Sometimes a glitch causes the port to get stuck in an unusable state and restarting fixes that.

Computer has been restarted several times, hoping this was the issue, it has not solved anything.

ballscrewbob:
Actually once you have the correct drivers support itself is pretty good (not spotty)

Avoid manually changing the COM port as that can also mess things up.
If that is what you did you may have to reset the COM stack

What can be spotty is USB 3.n support so where possible use USB 2.0 ports.

On clone boards especially the NANO you may also have to select OLD BOOTLOADER too when picking out the board.

I will attempt the COM stack reset, and I have old bootloader selected.

After uninstalling the COM ports, (com 7 and 8, both arduinos) I plug my nano into USB and it is imediately recognized by windows and assigned com3. Computer restarted, but it has no effect on the upload.

Using Port : COM3
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 9600
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM3": Access is denied.

When you do a com stack reset remove all the listed com ports.
Windows will re-assign COM 1 and 2 for internal use and take it from there.

Ensure your USB cable is both power AND data and works with other devices and is fully inserted.

ballscrewbob:
When you do a com stack reset remove all the listed com ports.
Windows will re-assign COM 1 and 2 for internal use and take it from there.

Ensure your USB cable is both power AND data and works with other devices and is fully inserted.

That's exactly what I did, I removed all com devices, including the hidden ones, and it assigned the arduino com3.

I am using a blue shielded USB cable previously used for 3D printing, it is certainly power and data, but I hvae tried 2 others I have on hand as well.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.