3x5 font for Nokia 5110 LCD

Hello guys,

I am selecting a small display which can show 4 lines with 20 characters each. My sketch is working fine with a standard 4x20 backlit serial LCD but I wondered if it would be feasible a pocket version.

I got a 128x64 0,96" OLED which can do pretty well using 5x7 characters, actually it can do twice as many lines as needed, but I've read it can show pixel burn if some pixels remain a long time on. This is my case since the project is to show 8 values along its labels. Only the values will change, the labels will be subject to burn.

Then I got a Nokia 5110 LCD with 84x48 resolution, that translates to 6 lines of 14 chars at 5x7 font size.
I searched the internet for a 3x5 font for the 5110 LCD but only found some info for a Discovery board (https://stm32f4-discovery.net/pcd8544-nokia-33105110-lcd-stm32f429-discovery-library/) which is not useful for me.

Of course I could change the layout to take advantage of the lines surplus, but my idea was to use the lower half of display to show a live graphic of the readings. After all, those are graphic displays instead of the standard 4x20 char LCD.

A search within this forum got no hit. I don't intend to build such a library, it is way beyond my abilities. Am I looking for a unicorn? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

P.S.: Just for the records, the project is to get voltage, current, and temperature from a photovoltaic inverter thru a 433 MHz link and compute input and output power to show conversion efficiency.

A 3x5 font looks horrible. 5x7 is pretty good.

Yes 6 lines of 14 characters is limiting. But the obvious thing is to either alternate screens or use intuitive labels.

e.g. 2 lines of 14 chars

234V 56.7A 34C
20kW>>13kW 65%

An OLED will burn but transflective LCDs are fine.
You can scroll descriptive text. Or use a bigger font for numbers with tiny font for units.

Use some imagination. Or simply look at how existing watches, central heating controllers, solar generators, ... display.

Anything will look better than a 3x5 font.

David.

Hehehe, I agree, david_prentice. A second page for the graph seems good. I'll give it a try.

Nevertheless I was thinking to use just capital letters and numbers, they are not so bad. And if the guys at Discovery found a way to it maybe Arduino people could too.

Thank you for the advise.

One reasonable solution with the OLED is to couple it with a PIR. :grinning:

pauloscheidegger:
And if the guys at Discovery found a way to it maybe Arduino people could too.

I'm sure you are right about that, and the only explanation is that the Arduino people have higher standards as to what the display should look like.

There are older 5110 applications that don't use the PCD8544 library, but use an on-board character map that you could perhaps modify. Check Stewart Lewis. There is also a glyph facility that can be used with the library for home-brewed special characters. I don't know if either can squeeze more lines but I think the latter can give you an extra character per line

Paul__B:
One reasonable solution with the OLED is to couple it with a PIR. :grinning:

I'm afraid not have been introduced to PIR... :-[

Nick_Pyner:
I'm sure you are right about that, and the only explanation is that the Arduino people have higher standards as to what the display should look like.

There are older 5110 applications that don't use the PCD8544 library, but use an on-board character map that you could perhaps modify. Check Stewart Little. There is also a glyph facility that can be used with the library for home-brewed special characters. I don't know if either can squeeze more lines but I think the latter can give you an extra character per line

Thanks Nick_Pyner, but I am not capable of such level of hacking (yet), I'd rather to spread exceeding text in last two lines and code a second graphic page. Only if there were ready-to-use 3x5 fonts I'd use them.

I think 3x5 would be only for the desperate, but it has just occurred to me that the 5110 library from RinkyDink might have what you want, but I have never used it myself. Also, if you are desperate enough, modifying the charset from the likes of Stuart Lewis (not Little) is probably not too hard at all - just not such a great idea....