4 AA batteries wont power my servo motor

I have a Parallax 360 high speed servo motor, and I am trying to power it using 4 AA batteries wired in parallel. The servo should be able to run on 6 volts (which is what my batteries provide if I am not mistaken). The control pin is in port 5 on my Arduino Uno and I have this code uploaded onto it:

#include<Servo.h>

Servo myServo1;

void setup() {
// put your setup code here, to run once:
myServo1.attach(5);
}

void loop() {
// put your main code here, to run repeatedly:
myServo1.write(72);
}

It should be able to go right? or can I not power this servo with AA batteries

ForestSkis98:
I have a Parallax 360 high speed servo motor, and I am trying to power it using 4 AA batteries wired in parallel. The servo should be able to run on 6 volts (which is what my batteries provide if I am not mistaken). The control pin is in port 5 on my Arduino Uno and I have this code uploaded onto it:

#include<Servo.h>

Servo myServo1;

void setup() {
// put your setup code here, to run once:
myServo1.attach(5);
}

void loop() {
// put your main code here, to run repeatedly:
myServo1.write(72);
}

It should be able to go right? or can I not power this servo with AA batteries

you want to run them in series ( positive to negative positive to negative ect. ect.)

Perhaps I misspoke and it is in series, I'm pretty new to all this stuff. I am using this battery pack: Amazon.com: LAMPVPATH (Pack of 2) 4 AA Battery Holder, 4 AA Battery Holder with Leads, 4 AA Battery Holder with Wires: Home Audio & Theater. By my understanding, that should produce 6 volts, right?

ForestSkis98:
Perhaps I misspoke and it is in series, I'm pretty new to all this stuff. I am using this battery pack: Amazon.com: LAMPVPATH (Pack of 2) 4 AA Battery Holder, 4 AA Battery Holder with Leads, 4 AA Battery Holder with Wires: Home Audio & Theater. By my understanding, that should produce 6 volts, right?

yes that should 1.5 times 4 = 6v, could you post a picture of your setup?

Here’s the image

ForestSkis98:
Here's the image

Do you have a ground going from your arduino to your servo ground?

I don't, but I just tried that and it still didn't work

Ah ok, I see what you mean now. I attached ground from arduino to ground on the servo, and ground from the servo to the black wire on my battery pack. That did it, thanks for the help!

ForestSkis98:
Ah ok, I see what you mean now. I attached ground from arduino to ground on the servo, and ground from the servo to the black wire on my battery pack. That did it, thanks for the help!

Glad to help

Generally you want to strap all the grounds together, floating grounds can give erratic results and other problems

saildude:
Generally you want to strap all the grounds together, floating grounds can give erratic results and other problems

Mostly, just not working! :astonished:

ForestSkis98:
I have a Parallax 360 high speed servo motor, and I am trying to power it using 4 AA batteries wired in parallel.

They are not wired in parallel, they are wired in series in that battery holder.

Note these cheap plastic battery holders are not really designed for high current, being of simple riveted construction. I've had trouble with them developing significant resistance at the rivets.

High performance servos often require high peak currents, and often this isn't even documented, so you can't afford to skimp (many many postings here are due to people misjudging the current requirements of servos).

MarkT:
Note these cheap plastic battery holders are not really designed for high current, being of simple riveted construction. I've had trouble with them developing significant resistance at the rivets.

High performance servos often require high peak currents, and often this isn't even documented, so you can't

But whre would on find good quality battery holders? I have not looked much but the regular sources like Sparkfun & Adafruit sell what looks like things that I refer to as "competitive bid"

Thanks

Your post needs to start with the statement:

"I have a Parallax 360 high speed servo motor (6V/XXXmA)"

This entire post is academic without the motor current rating

Looks like 130-180mA

If you connect a 30 ohm /2@ resistor across your battery pack it should draw 6V/30= 0.2A.
If it does not ,there is something wrong with your batteries.

Have you measured the motor current ?

raschemmel:
This entire post is academic without the motor current rating

Looks like 130-180mA

This datasheet states a stall current of 1.2Amp.
Should use good Alkaline batteries for that kind of current.
Leo..