4-DC Motor, 4 Servo, multi instrument build

Hello,

I am new to Arduino and I want to purchase the correct components for my project. I am building a quad-tilt rotor aircraft. I will have multiple components and instruments that I would like to work together and I was wondering if anyone could give some guidance. I tried doing some searches on google, but non of my searches put me in the right direction. Is it possible to link all 4 motors and servos (which each servo/motor pair will technically work independently of each other based on multiple variables), acceleramotor, 5 ultrasonic senors (might be overkill, but I want to start with everything and then subtract), and an infrared sensor to one board (say a mega)? I will also try to incorporate a raspberry pi as a microprocessor. Currently I have a pi 2.0 and a pi to arduino shield from cooking hacks. Again, if I am being vague please let me know, and I apologize if this is a noob question, but I am just looking for some guidance. Thank you for any help you might offer.

Search tips in my sig line.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=quadrotor&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=http%3A%2F%2Farduino.cc%2Fforum&as_occt=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=

Thank you for your help. I missed the PID controller aspect. That will be a big help. This will help me get started, but as with my search, the quads being built by these people are different than the quad I am building. One problem that I believe I will have is operating the servo/motor pair independently of each other whereas a standard quadracopter operates the servo/motor pairs in groups of two. I am going to get started and then post questions when I hit a dead end. Again, thank you for your help, the PID controller will be a necessary purchase.

APSDesEng: I am building a quad-tilt rotor aircraft. I will have multiple components and instruments that I would like to work together and I was wondering if anyone could give some guidance.

Do you have any experience of programming for Arduino or Pi, using any of the sensors or actuators you list, or any previous experience of using and operating quad-tilt rotor craft, or of implementing autonomous control systems of any sort?

This is a very advanced project, and the fact that you didn't find anything relevant on Google is discouraging, because it implies you have missed, or failed to recognise, all of the relevant resources. There is a huge quantity of information available from other people who have done similar projects - there are even open source hardware and software projects available to give you the basis of a working system. Even if you have experience in all the relevant areas and base your project on the open source projects, simply developing your own project to the point of working reliably will require a lot of time and money. However, if you're starting with zero relevant skills and experience and trying to produce your own solution from scratch, I suggest you're in for a frustrating and expensive time. In that case it would be sensible to start with something less ambitious and work your way towards your ultimate objective with a series of smaller projects.

While I am new to Arduino, I am not new to programming (C++ and Python) or the Raspberry pi (Using linux based systems since I was 10). This is also not my first microcontroller project, just my first Arduino project. I am trying Arduino to see if I can reduce the microcontroller cost aspect.

The Google searches I commit continually return projects that do not operate the same mechanically as my project will. I would assume (that nasty 6 letter word I hate but sometimes have to use) that because they do not operate similarly mechanically, they will not have the same control logic or wiring schemes. I understand that my instrumentation can operate based on open source code for certain applications, however, my concern is that I will not be able to operate the servo/motor pair independently. So far, my google searches have returned information on how to operate the motors in pairs (common quadracopters utilize differential power to motor pairs on the x and y axis to rotate, turn, rise, ... etc where as my design will utilize not only independent power, but also the rotational axis of the servo). I have the math and control worked out on paper, it is just bringing it together now into the system. I will continue my search with more focus. Thank you for your response and help PeterH.

might be overkill, but I want to start with everything and then subtract

Well, as you are just starting out, I'd suggest you start with one working pair and then add. Get each critical component working as required first.

zoomkat: Well, as you are just starting out, I'd suggest you start with one working pair and then add. Get each critical component working as required first.

Thanks. That seems to be common advice. Start with small sub assemblies and work my way up to the top level. I will post updates and questions as they come. Thanks again for the help.