4 line display without seeing the spaces for each character?

I don't know the technical lingo but i'll make an attempt at explaining what I mean. I now have a 16x2 LCD display that works fine but i need something a little bigger for my next project. With the 16x2 you can see each of the 16 spaces on each line slightly accentuated. I'd like to get a 4 line display where the character spaces do not show. I'm working with the Uno so what kind of LCD display should I look for?

With the 16x2 you can see each of the 16 spaces on each line slightly accentuated.

If this means that you can see a rectangular box behind each character then you should be able to reduce the contrast a bit and get rid of this effect.

Don

floresta: If this means that you can see a rectangular box behind each character then you should be able to reduce the contrast a bit and get rid of this effect.

Don

That's exactly what it means but to get rid of the rectangular box behind each character I have to reduce the contrast so much that you can barely see the text.

Then you are most likely going to need a recommendation for a very specific brand and part number. An order from eBay is likely to be a gamble, even from a reputable vendor.

Don

Sounds like being far too fussy to me.