433MHz Transmitter and Receiver at the same board

Hello guys,

I want to use those 433MHz modules (MX-FS-03V) to create a network between 5 Arduino nano. I wish I could use the HC 11 or the 2.4GHz module but I need a longer range for outdoor applications.
As the couple: Transmitter-Receiver, is much cheaper than the HC11 were I live (Brazil), and I may need to buy dozens of these, this is my best solution so far.

The question is: Is it possible to plug the transmitter and the receiver in one arduino, and so on, to build a very simple network between them? It is just to transmit a few characters.

Best regards,
Gabriel

Yes, that is possible. One Arduino can either transmit or receive, but not do both at the same time.

For best range, use balanced dipole antennas (33 cm from tip to tip for 433 MHz), as shown below. Connect one inner wire to ANT and the other to GND on each module. I get 300 meters line of sight with this setup.

Hello jremington,

That means that I can connect both to one arduino, but then I need to set it to transmit or receive, depending on my necessity? I.e., I can switch the function with no problem?

I will probably use a 17cm monopole antenna, as I won’t need to go as far as 300m, and I need it to be compact.

Tanks for your help,

Gabriel

Just keep in mind that when one module is transmitting, all of the receivers within range will notice. You will either have to encode your messages so only the one you want reacts (such as having an ID character in the string), or you'll have to control when each one listens.
These chips aren't addressable, so transmitting is like shouting out the data that they all can hear. Which isn't a bad thing if you want them all reacting simultaneously. That's what I use them for.

INTP:
Just keep in mind that when one module is transmitting, all of the receivers within range will notice. You will either have to encode your messages so only the one you want reacts (such as having an ID character in the string), or you'll have to control when each one listens.
These chips aren't addressable, so transmitting is like shouting out the data that they all can hear. Which isn't a bad thing if you want them all reacting simultaneously. That's what I use them for.

Thanks, and that is not a problem at all. Each one will have an ID, but the receivers will be coded so that it will only "hear" the message from who I want it to hear.

Well, they will 'hear' all messages, meaning if you have any code that starts with a 'if message received', which is basically how they all start, then your code will be held up until it figures out what it's doing if anything. If you have other code running, it will pause for that moment as a 'something received' is triggered, even if it then has to decide 'okay, do nothing'.