4G mobile hotspot as internet source

I have a 4g wifi router/hotspot/modem. The divice's functionality is simple… when I turn it on it connect to 4g Cellular network for high-speed internet, and create a wifi hotspot… to be use by other wifi client.

I want to use this modem as internet source for Arduino with direct connection (without wifi shield)! So end goal is, whenever Arduino needs internet, it turns the device on and uses the 4g connection to execute a web request.

First I thought it can’t be done since the modem is a commercial closed source device. But after I opened it up I found traditional IO ports…

I’m wondering maybe it is possible to send receive data directly like an Arduino ethernat/wifi shield! Since I have no experience on exploiting this kind of device… I’m seeking for advice on how to proceed if I want to investigate farther.

Here is more info about the device,

Model Name: IMW-C910W (2.5Ghz) wikidevi Circuit board: BISCUIT_MINI 2.3G/2.5G REV1.2A Microcontroller: GDM7205 160 Hhz WI1 chip1: Atheros AR6003G-AC2B IO PORT: 1366A (?)

Other thought: if the modem was a "4g to usb" instead of "4g to wifi" would I have a better shot of doing this?

The fact that you are even asking the question seems to indicate that you lack the documentation to answer the question. The fact that the unit has traditional I/O ports isn't going to do you any good if you don't have any programable control. If you had the documentation that shows how to do that, you wouldn't be asking the question. Knowing the model name or the uC type is still not enough to answer your question. Do you have the I/O memory map ? Do you have the code ? Can you program it. I think your in over your head on this and I don't think we have the answer. You are just going to have to use a WIFI shield. Do you have the source code (firmware ) for the device. No. Obviously. No code. No I/O memory map. No clue. Honestly , I don't think what you are asking is doable.

First I thought it can’t be done since the modem is a commercial closed source device.

Sometimes your first thought is correct....

jay11421: end goal is, whenever Arduino needs internet, it turns the device on and uses the 4g connection to execute a web request.

Your best bet would be to get a 4G modem with a TTL interface that you could connect directly to the Arduino. The modem you already have is not going to be suitable, unless it already provides a standard wired interface - and I assume you'd already have told us if that was the case.

Thanks raschemmel! You are right. we don’t have official documentation to do this. :blush: Just checking maybe somebody exploited it before… people’s ability r infinite!! 8)

Anyway, all I know that GDM7205 microcontroller talks to Atheros AR6003G. and since AR6003G is a fairly common wifi controller may be it would be possible to intercept it using AR6003G in my circuit as well… Here is the block diagram for GDM7205

and for Atheros AR6003G

I understand it not enough to do what i'm suggesting… but it doesn't hurt to check around!

PeterH: Your best bet would be to get a 4G modem with a TTL interface

Thanks. yes that would be easy alternative. but connecting to closed device would be more exciting! ;) on top i have special 4g service on that device that i won't get with other. BWT, do you know any small and inexpensive gsm to TTL modem? it doesn't have to be 4g... 3g or even edge is fine!

I don't see how a block diagram for a device you have no way of programming is going to help. It only has one program, which , as you pointed out , is closed source, meaning you cannot modify it so what's the point in posting a block diagram ? Be careful what you wish for. I think you already have more excitement than you can handle.

jay11421: BWT, do you know any small and inexpensive gsm to TTL modem? it doesn't have to be 4g... 3g or even edge is fine!

I don't know what you consider small and inexpensive, but you can get a GSM/GPRS modem shield for 20-30 quid, maybe cheaper if you don't need it to be a shield.

Maybe you should consider a Spark Core?

Paul

PeterH: I don't know what you consider small and inexpensive, but you can get a GSM/GPRS modem shield for 20-30 quid, maybe cheaper if you don't need it to be a shield.

$30 i would consider cheap. and something same size of Ardunio mini pro... i would consider small! since you can buy a quad band cellphone inside a wrist-watch for $30 on ebay!! a gprs modem size of Ardunio mini shouldn't too much of expectation (but the reality is there is none!)

official arduion gsm shield seems 70 euro -> about $100 ! and not mini size... to say the least!

PaulRB: Maybe you should consider a Spark Core?

interesting! didn't know about this before... thanks! seems title expensive but handy!

for this particular project.... using something like this would allow me to use the mobile hotspot... true! but i wouldn't get the actual advantage of connecting to the device. if i could hack into the device (which raschemmel correctly said that is over my head!!) advantage(s) are obvious. such as .... if i use internet to one device next to it, its waste of power broadcast wifi to 100m radios. i could disable wifi broadcast hens save power! trun off and on the device on demand from ardunio hence save more power. supply power from ardunio instead of having separate battery hence save weight and size.... and so on

Why not use a wifi shield since it seems like a simple option?

Or a wifi router that has a wired Ethernet output and an Ethernet shield?

Or a Yun with wifi built in?

Or a Raspberry PI as an interface to the Arduino?

Or maybe you could write some bridge software for the phone that would communicate with the Arduino using Bluetooth and pass the data to and from the internet.

...R