5.8ghz wifi amplifier

Hello All,

Curious if anyone has tired to work up a diy wifi 5.8 ghz amplifier module. Waning something like this with possibly adjustable wattage increase/decrease for a drone project.

Thank You

One of the problems of 'DIY' for this type of amplifier, is that you would need to own or have access to some fairly sophisticated spectrum analyzer gear.

You would need to check that such a 'DIY' project was not putting out a stack of spurious emmissions and causing a heap of interference to other users of the frequency band you are using.

Depends where in the World you are but there could well be a pile of legal restrictions on such a 'DIY' project.

brcisna:
Hello All,

Curious if anyone has tired to work up a diy wifi 5.8 ghz amplifier module. Waning something like this with possibly adjustable wattage increase/decrease for a drone project.

Thank You

I though 5.8gHz wifi was still in the proposal stages? The last update I saw also required frequency agility and the requirement to check if the frequency was in use before transmitting.

Paul

I though 5.8gHz wifi was still in the proposal stages?

No up and running and in use in a wide number of modems and computers.

If you have to ask about working at these frequencies then you can’t do it. It is a stupidly high skill set you need before you can even think about it.

The FAA fined a couple of companies (lots of money) that marketed a WiFi amplifier for drone use a couple of years ago.

They take licensing of RF amplifier equipment very seriously.

Of course, because wifi is so important and widespread, any abuse or interference is going to light a fire under a lot of users. So the enforcement is absolute and strict. I'm sure violators don't do well in court, either.

Also, I've disassembled and analyzed an amp that was designed for GSM use. Even an amp or a pre-amp is a design challenge but to perform full duplex at those frequencies is really space age stuff. That box took advantage of the (at that time) brute simplicity of GSM's TDMA methodology. Anything post CDMA, like 3G, is no longer TDMA and can't be done in such a simple way. CDMA handsets use a very high quality diplexer to allow simultaneous TX and RX. Good luck doing anything like that at home.