5-digit, individually controlled, 7-segment or 16x2 LCD Number Box.

Hello everyone,

I am considering making something that, in concept, is really rather simple. I see all sorts of people doing what I want on a smaller scale, but once it involves multiple numbers, people aren't doing the same thing I need. I've searched all over the internet, and even on this forum, and I still can't find anything specific to my project.

What I want, is a potentiometer to control each individual digit of a 5-digit LCD display (16x2 or the like), or five of the 7-segment displays. So, I need 5 potentiometers, and five numbers.

Many of the examples I see are using one potentiometer to control all 5 digits. I need 5 individual potentiometers to control each individual digit separately, of the 5-digits. I'd also like to have a separate power switch, and a master reset button to bring all the numbers back to zero (so I can put this contraption in a project box). I assume a 9V battery would suffice for power?

If this sounds feasible, I can absolutely re-post this in the various sections of the forum to complete this, I'm just a little lost on how to approach this.

I hope this is explained well. If not, I can draw up a sketch of what I have in mind, and post it here. Does this sound feasible? I was going to take the single-digit with potentiometer setup and do it 5 times, but I don't think there are enough holes on the Arduino board to do this. My intent was to use an Arduino UNO, but if there's another setup that would accomplish this better, I'm all ears.

Thank you all for your input. I look forward to getting people's thoughts. :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
bwarren917

bwarren917:
I was going to take the single-digit with potentiometer setup and do it 5 times, but I don't think there are enough holes on the Arduino board to do this.

Since when?

If I remember the pinning correctly, one single 7-segment display/unit requires all the factory pins on the Arduino UNO. I thought that the 4-8 digit versions of the 7-segment units were unable to have each digit controlled separately?

Thank you!

Best Regards,
bwarren917

If you use 5 raw seven segment displays, and multiplex them, you’ll need 8 Arduino pins for the segments (including the decimal point, if required ) and 5 pins for the display commons. For the potentiometers, you’ll need 5 analog pins. However, you can reduce this by using an I2C module for the display.
A potentiometer is a mechanical device so it remembers the last position it was left in. You can zero the value in the display for the potentiometer, but would then have to watch for a change in its value before again displaying a value based on its rotational position.

Even if a module contains 4 or 8 digits, you can display what you wish on the separate digits.

6v6gt,

Thank you for those incredible replies. I'll look into both options, and report back with my results.

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards,
Benjamin

Hi,
A display module like this would be easier, I2C

or google arduino 4 digit LED display

Tom.... :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
Hi,
A display module like this would be easier, I2C

Adafruit 0.56 4-Digit 7-Segment Display w/I2C Backpack - Yellow : ID 879 : $9.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

or google arduino 4 digit LED display

Tom… :slight_smile:

Thanks! Before hearing from some others here, I was concerned something like that would not be able to have each digit controlled separately. I’m definitely interested in that option, as well as the LCD. I’ll look into both, and see what works better. Thank you!

Best Regards,
bwarren917

bwarren917:
Thanks! Before hearing from some others here, I was concerned something like that would not be able to have each digit controlled separately. I’m definitely interested in that option, as well as the LCD. I’ll look into both, and see what works better. Thank you!

Best Regards,
bwarren917

There are 8 digit versions, and Library that gives you individual control of each digit.
This picture is of a very quickly cobbled together durability tester.
DurTest.jpg
Two separate values on the same display.

Tom… :slight_smile:

Depending on which Arduino board you have, you may not be able to have 5 analog inputs and use I2C.
i.e. boards like the Uno use A4 and A5 pins for I2C.

Which Arduino board are you using?

--- bill

IIRC the module shown in reply#8 doesn’t use I2C.

If, as has been pointed out, the number of analogue ports is a problem, you have options like this:

A Nano breaks out two additional Analog pins.

aarg:
IIRC the module shown in reply#8 doesn't use I2C.

Correct.. it basically bit bangs through Ledcontrol Library.
Tom... :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm going to use your suggestions to come up with a functional design for my needs. Thanks again!