5 push button menu on a 20x4 lcd display help

Hi all

Iam Rolf and iam new here on the forum. Iam from the netherlands so my languase is not so real good . Sorry for that.

Iam nieuw with arduino but i read a lot here on the forum. I also try some thinks already.

Iam looking for a display for my project. Iam a home distiller and using a bokakob still . What i like too do is too put away the analog temperatures meters. And like too put a lcd 20x4 too it with arduino

What i hope too add on the display is:

-temp. kollom top -temp. boiler -temp cooling water -a way to set a alarm by a set temp. -and maibe if it is posible too control the heat putting into the boiler. It used a head ellement 2000 W

i Hope that i can make a 5 button control panel up/down/left/right/enter.

I hope that here are some people too help me with this.

on the next link you can see my still and projeckt its on a forum too

only it is dutch

regards rolf

http://thuisdestilleren.messageboard.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=445

Hoi Rolf, welkom op het Arduino forum !

Er is ook een Nederlandse sectie hier, en als je wil kun je daar dus gewoon in het Nederlands terecht. Als je een stukje naar beneden scrollt zie je dat verschijnen.

So far the Dutch welcome and introduction to our corner over here.

Have a look at the LCDkeypad shield. It has all buttons you are looking for plus a separate reset button. The keys only use up 1 analog input pin. A typical LCD keypad shield has a 16*2 LCD but you could use the schematics (click!) to extract the buttons and make your own. Of course this depends on your electronics skills, but for this not a lot of skills are needed.

All of your questions can be done but you need some extra components to do that. The heater element can be controlled using a relay, and the temperatures can be measured with specific sensors. I'm not sure what temperature the column top would be (i guess it measures gases temperatures instead of fluids), but you could consider a PT1000 sensor. That ranges up to 500 degrees Celsius, so it should do. The connection of sensors and control elements should not be that difficult.

Having said that, you need to program your Arduino. Do not expect people to do that for you, but you are welcome to ask questions you will have. It's better to start learning and after you've got the hang of it, start on working on your project. In other words: it's going to take you a while, but you'll learn a lot and you might have some fun during the process.

Thanx mas3

i will post this to the dutch site