5110 lcd contrast goes away

Hi there!

I have a 5110 display in a project and if the project is not powered on for a longer time or if I touch the display somehow the contrast goes away: you cant read anything anymore.

If I touch the display a few times and press against the screen the constrast comes back.

Any idea how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance!

asuryan:
Hi there!

I have a 5110 display in a project and if the project is not powered on for a longer time or if I touch the display somehow the contrast goes away: you cant read anything anymore.

If I touch the display a few times and press against the screen the constrast comes back.

Any idea how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance!

These displays are not well connected to their breakout boards. There are a set of conductors on the bottom side of the display which touch traces on the board and are held there by the pressure of the metal frame. It's a very unreliable way to connect them and they often lose contact. This is one of several reasons I don't use these. It is very frustrating to have everything working and then it suddenly stops. A squeeze is required to get it working again.

Thanks for the info.

So there isnt a permanent solution... just press againt the screen and its fine again. :wink:

Thanks anyway!

For projects that need a low power monochrome LCD, I use either the HX1230 or UC1701/ST7920. Both have better backlights than the 5110 and use less power.

Thanks for the tip!

I also like the SSD1306 0.96 or 1.3 (SH1106) OLED displays.
I maybe switch back to them again then for the next project. :slight_smile: