5v Relay Module help

I’m new here and hope you all can help me with what I believe is an extremely simple project.

I bought a couple 5v relay module to use to switch a 12v power supply to activate the trigger on my home theater power strip for my power amps. Unfortunately my Onkyo receiver does not have a 12V trigger for zone 1 (only zones 2+3).

So I am attempting to use the USB port on the back of the receiver to energize the coil on this little relay to switch the 12V wall wart PS. However since I don’t have a “signal” wire from an Arduino I was under the impression that I could just jumper the DC- over to IN and it would work? Well it doesn’t for some reason. The Green power light does on but the red light does not and the relay does not switch from NC to NO.

There is a jumper on the board for low/high and is in the high position which is what I assumed it should be on since it’ 5V coming from the USB power source. I did not not to change the jumper to low for fear I would blow the board up.

Can anyone help me out here?

This is the board and how I have it wired.

The High/Low jumper determines if a High(5v) signal or Low(0v) signal triggers the relay.

With the jumper set to:

High
IN = 5v Relay = ON
IN = 0v Relay = OFF

Low
IN = 5v Relay = OFF
IN = 0v Relay = ON

Hutkikz:
The High/Low jumper determines if a High(5v) signal or Low(0v) signal triggers the relay.

With the jumper set to:

High
IN = 5v Relay = ON
IN = 0v Relay = OFF

Low
IN = 5v Relay = OFF
IN = 0v Relay = ON

So I just moved the jumper to LOW and it works. Doh! Don't really understand it though. Seems backwards.

Jumper set to HIGH
5V to IN = NO closed NC open Relay energized Red led lit
0V to IN = NO open NC closed Relay NOT energized Red led dark
GND to DC-
5v POWER to DC+

Hutkikz:
Jumper set to HIGH
5V to IN = NO closed NC open Relay energized Red led lit
0V to IN = NO open NC closed Relay NOT energized Red led dark
GND to DC-
5v POWER to DC+

I set the jumper to LOW and now the NO leg is closed with DC- jumpered to IN.

So am I correct then if I had left it set to high and jumpered from IN to DC+ it would have done the same thing and energized the coil?

Yes

Hutkikz:
Yes

LOL, thanks Man!