5V relay module question

Hey all bought a 8 relay module online and I have been trying to hook it up without avail. Does anyone know the right way to get this to work? I am using a computer power supply for the 5V and an arduino. I connect the GND to the ground on the power supply on the right side, VCC to 5V arduino, and the JD-VCC to the 5V pc power supply. I am seeing the light turn on and hear a click but when hooking up a light bulb it isnt working. I connect both the common and the hot wire to the other end of the relay ports. Am I missing something here?

here is a link to the one i bought
http://arduino-direct.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=156

justinwebb:
when hooking up a light bulb it isnt working. I connect both the common and the hot wire to the other end of the relay ports. Am I missing something here?

Relays are switches, not supplies. What kind of bulb are you talking about? How is the supply for the bulb wired?

A normal 110v 40w light bulb. How should I supply the light bulb? Maybe I was doing the correct wires. Any schematic or something. Thanks for your help I appreciate it a lot

Pin 1 should go to your mains live, pin 2 to one end of the light bulb, the other end of the light bulb to mains neutral.

You must ask yourself if you are having to ask such fundamental questions are you ready to play with mains yet?

I had them connected properly I just had the hot wire one space over to far and was on the next relay. Looked at it again this morning and noticed the error. It was late and I rushed through it. Thanks for the help.

Please don't rush... especially in a 220V country!!

The RELAY is optically isolated, but your fingers are not...

I had them connected properly I just had the hot wire one space over to far and was on the next relay.

In my book this is called wired up incorrectly. Are you wanting to be differently correct?

yep sure am, nothing dramatic happened the world is still spinning and I am still alive so wasn't that devastating. Sure I learned to double check some things but that's why I always work with nothing plugged in and this time it helped. Thanks for all the advice I will be sure to slow down, luckily its only 120v