6 Micro Servo Control??

Could anyone tell me how can I control 6 of these servos via an arduino duemilanove connected to the pc

Servo : http://cgi.ebay.com/4-PCS-Micro-9g-Servo-Futaba-Hitec-HS-55-GWS-walkera-/300327412850?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45ece8a472

Thanks

A first decision to be made is how are you going to power the 6 servos? The +5vdc avalible from the USB is limited to 500ma max and that is not enough to power six servos.

Lefty

Will using this shield help

http://cgi.ebay.com/Arduino-Sensor-Shield-V4-digital-analog-module-servos-/160544060113?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25612bf2d1

I thought of using the motor sheild but that can only power 2 servos, whereas this sensor sheild can power upto 6 servos Will it work Please reply...

How are you going to power the six servos?

vishalapr: Will using this shield help

http://cgi.ebay.com/Arduino-Sensor-Shield-V4-digital-analog-module-servos-/160544060113?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25612bf2d1

I thought of using the motor sheild but that can only power 2 servos, whereas this sensor sheild can power upto 6 servos Will it work Please reply...

Shields don't provide power. Power comes from batteries or external DC power supply or USB power. Your need to power six servos means you need external DC power of enough current capacitor for 6 servos. The arduino board will have no problem CONTROLLING 6 servos, but not providing DC power for them if just using USB power.

A motor shield is designed to control DC motors not servos. Servos have their own internal motor controllers built in.

Lefty

The only way I can power them is via the pc as the board will be connected to the computer while running the program

You could power the servos from an external power supply or batteries.

vishalapr:
The only way I can power them is via the pc as the board will be connected to the computer while running the program

That is not true. There is no reason an arduino cannot be wired to both the USB (for serial control) and at the same time be using external DC power for external components (like servos) at the same time. In fact that will be the only way as USB power is not sufficient to power 6 servos period.

Lefty

Ya but what kind of batteries, are 9V batteries good, because I could use a 9V battery to power this whole thing, with 6 servos running on it

And lefty, how could I connect the external power to the arduino, do I just plug in a nine volt battery into the 5V and the ground of the arduino and then add this sheild on top

Nine volt batteries are useless for just about any application apart from smoke alarms. Four AAs would be better.

but isn't that only 6V which is worse than 9V

I don't understand you. It isn't voltage that is important here, so much as current. 9V batteries don't supply a great deal of current. Servos need a lot.

vishalapr:
And lefty, how could I connect the external power to the arduino, do I just plug in a nine volt battery into the 5V and the ground of the arduino and then add this sheild on top

No, small 9vdc battery also have not enough current capacity for six servos. In fact any power source wired to the arduino external power connector is still limited to one amp of current, so still too little for six servos. Also voltage above 5vdc should never be wired to the arduino +5vdc pin, damage is certain. Only the external power connector can have voltage above 7vdc, but again it’s also limited to one amp current or less.

A simple way is to have the USB power the arduino board, but then also have 4 series connected AA batteries power the servos. However the batteries will not last very long with 6 active servos. You really need to research proper power wiring examples for external high current loads as it is likely your inexperiance will get it wrong. I don’t have a good schematic drawing program avalible at this time but searching should find you an example.

Servos have both a power voltage rating (4.5 to 6vdc) and a current requirment (often not given but at least 500ma per servo), you need to pay attention to both requirements.

Lefty

Wow, you can use EAGLE to create schematics, and I’ll try to do the following as you said, so if I use an external power source then I do not require the sheild

vishalapr: Wow, you can use EAGLE to create schematics, and I'll try to do the following as you said, so if I use an external power source then I do not require the sheild

No shield required. Arduino ground must be wired to external voltage negative terminal. Arduino digital output pins wire to each servo control wire, external voltage positive terminal wires to all servo voltage wire.

Lefty

The big picture made with MS paint:

Ya, but I don not have 4 1.5V batteries, so is there any way I could use a nine volt battery with a voltage regulator, if yes should I power each and every servo with its own 9V battery or could I power all the six servos with one nine volt battery, it would be easier for me if someone could draw a schematic showing how to connect 6 servos uing 9V battery or batteries. Thanks

Ya, but I don not have 4 1.5V batteries

The 9v battery would probably be dead within a matter of minutes. Wishful thinking will not replace a decent power supply.

But I have these rechargable batteries http://cgi.ebay.com/4-BTY-9v-9-Volt-Rechargeable-Battery-300mAh-Charger-/170536026493?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b4bd417d

Will these work if so how many of these batteries will I need to control 6 servos, do I need one battery for each individual servo or could I just use 1 of these batteries for all the 6 servos, and yes I will add the voltage regulators for how many ever batteries there are so that the voltage will be 5V and not 9V going to the servo'

And again if you could provide a schematic for all the six servos using 9V batteries and voltage regulatorrs, it will be great

Thanks again