6 Screens!?

Im trying to make a project that requires six different screens... im not sure which screens yet... im debating on a couple;

• maybe powered by an arduino, with the adafruit or sparkfun library but the problem with this one is that to power six screens im going to need alot more than just one atmega328
  • i also thought about being powered by a pic32mx processor, but the code behind it is so straneous, and its a bit bothersome to have to pay hundreds of money to just program one chip
  • Im also considering using the 4DGL system, so having one processor for each screen and using the i/0 pins of the board to connect to one microprocessor, although im not sure if you can use their intergrated processor and also send it signals from another.
  • Also theres the adafruit library for their tft lcd touchscreen that apparently someone made their own OS for, but im not too familiar with this one

There is obiously alot of issues with this project, not only how many and what kind of processors to use, but also memory sharing to each screen, sufficient i\o pins on the microprocessor and above all having the final outcome look nice. can you guys please give me some guidance as to which of the above methods to use, or if there is a better one out there that i have not come across yet... please help, im very overwhelmed by all this at the moment.

When you say 'screen', to what are you referring? A 'screen' is anything from a 16*2 character lcd to a VGA monitor and everything in between. Please be more specific.

Im also considering using the 4DGL system, so having one processor for each screen and using the i/0 pins of the board to connect to one microprocessor, although im not sure if you can use their intergrated processor and also send it signals from another.

Yes you can do that.

But before thinking any more about this we need to know what you mean by "screen" as Bilbo said.

Rob

Serial LCD displays only need one pin as you could use NewSoftSerial library and map the incoming pin for all screens on pinnr -1. Consider using a separate power supply for the 6 screens (connect GND) as it might draw quite some current.

Not only do we need to know what screens but what you expect to display on them. For example do you want 6 sections of a video image split over the screens or are we talking about totally separate graphics on each screen.

well, theyr going to play video, games and thing of that nature, so i'd like the video output to look nice but there has to be a compromise to everything, and... im thinking i could use one image, but actually break it into six parts specifically where the screens break the image up to appear to have a different image on every screen. if that would be easier than having completely seperate graphics because they would need to share memory and stuff.

Sorry you are not going to do that with an arduino. Not fast enough and not enough memory for the screen buffer.

yeah your right... im still debating over the other methods... i really hope this is actually possible.

Take a look at the beagleboard or the pandaboard, with some USB graphics adapters. You get a full linux system, and lots of power. It may be overkill, but it will work!