6 step by step

Hi there, is possible to connect and work to arduino with 6 step by step motors?

In this moment i don't have an arduino, but i thinking to get a mega 2560 r3 may be, about the motors, i really don't have a model to work just now, but in this moment i just want to know if is possible

Thanks! :D

That should be perfectly possible. The only possible problem would be if you need very high step rates for all the motors at the same time. A 16MHz Arduino may not be fast enough.

Have a look at these links Stepper Motor Basics Simple Stepper Code

It will be much easier to give sensible advice if you tell us as much as you can about the project you are trying to create.

...R

I have a software that solve a 3x3 rubik cube, and i want to test in a robot :D

I think that should be doable the motors won't all be working at the same time and you don't need high speed.

I thought 3 motors would be sufficient, one for each axis - but I was never any good at Rubik's cubes

...R

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

Can you tell us your electronics, programming, Arduino, hardware experience?

Thanks.. Tom.. :)

Thanks both for reply.

First of all, sorry for my english, i am learning to speek and write :D

Robin2: I think that should be doable the motors won't all be working at the same time and you don't need high speed.

I thought 3 motors would be sufficient, one for each axis - but I was never any good at Rubik's cubes

...R

I have finished the proyect with 6 motors method and this took me a several time to finish, so i will try as long as is possible, Look in this proyect never 2+ motor are active at same time, once a motor have finished his action, a new action begins.

TomGeorge: Hi, Welcome to the forum.

Can you tell us your electronics, programming, Arduino, hardware experience?

Thanks.. Tom.. :)

My last proyect was a simple bluetooth RC car, when i say simple i refer to the hardware. With 2 DC motors in the back for move, and a servo in the front for direction.

I can't find a way to do the connection

Please help :D

tatita: I have finished the proyect with 6 motors method and this took me a several time to finish, so i will try as long as is possible, Look in this proyect never 2+ motor are active at same time, once a motor have finished his action, a new action begins.

You have not posted a link to the datasheet for your stepper motors nor have you told us what stepper motor drivers you are using.

Drivers such as the Pololu A4988 or DRV8825 need two pins (step and direction) for each motor so 6 motors would require 12 pins. That could certainly be accommodated on an Uno or a Mega.

You have not said if there is other equipment that would also need to be connected to the Arduino.

...R

Oh thanks i will use one of both, and use some stepper that supported this drivers datasheet. No in this case, i just plug this steppers, no more devices.

Question, what you recommend, connect in parallel or serie?

Sorry but I don't understand the first paragraph in Reply #6

And I don't understand why you are asking about parallel or series connections in the 2nd paragraph - what might be connected in parallel or in series?

...R

Sorry, in the first paragraph, i mean that i will get one of both drivers, and choose a stepper that can be used on it. And I asking because I believe that i will need an external power supply to don't lose power in motors, but I don't know wich is the best option.

You will definitely need a separate power supply for the motors but a single power supply can be used for all of them if it has suitable capacity.

Have you studied the links I gave you in Reply #1

...R

Yes i do, but with pololu i must connect the gnd to gnd of arduino, how can i do to connect the 6 gnd to the arduino gnd? just do bridges between the gnds of the pololus?

tatita: just do bridges between the gnds of the pololus?

Yes.

...R

Nice, i think this post is solved.

Thanks