~6A 12 V Brushed DC Motor Speed Control, ESC with Arduino

Ok, so heres the situation, I am trying to control the speed of a car's blower motor, using the arduino as the processor. As of now I have managed to control a computer fan directly of the PWM pins on a MEGA. However scaleing this up to the full size motor is not directly possible. I looked into motor sheilds but they seem rather expensive, especally when an 20A EDC speed controller for RC applications is readily availible for under $10. Through my research I have found that these are not compatable with PWM signals. But rather the servo libary. Would I just have to convert my code to work with that libary, or is it more involved.

A side note the EDC in question has a 5V/1A BEC mode, If i understand this correctly, this means it shuts off when voltage drops below 5V. In this application this should not happen as it will be run off a 12v 6A DC power supply.

Cheers,

That's because the servo library was written for RC servos . The change in duty cycle is very small with servos.

If you want to use an ESC, yes you convert your code to using the Servo library. That's really easy though.

BEC is "battery eliminator circuit", i.e. it's a 5V power output from the ESC, intended to power the radio receiver and therefore eliminating the need for a separate receiver battery. You should be able to power your arduino from the BEC output but if the BEC is linear, it will be extremely inefficient.

If you don't need bi-directional control, you can just use a logic-level MOSFET and a catch-diode (motors are inductive!) and control the power with PWM to the fet gate. If you want bi-directional control, you typically make an H-bridge (4 FETs and a bit of level-translation circuitry) and control it with PWM. By the time you've done that though and made sure it's shoot-through proof (snubbers, etc), you would probably be better off just buying the ESC.

If i understand this correctly, this means it shuts off when voltage drops below 5V.

The BEC is so called because it eliminates the need for a separate battery for the transmitter. (I would assume). BEC's are often
stanalone circuits that keep your servos running when you fry your ESC trying to break the sound barrier. The plane will lose power but you can glide in for an emergency landing ..(EMERGENCY LANDING !!!)