7-segment display to show time as HH:MM:SS?

Hi,
I am looking for recommendations of a 7 segment-type display with 6 digits and two colons to show time with seconds. I have 4 digit TM1637 displays that work fine to show time has HH:MM but now I would like to have one that can show seconds too like this HH:MM:SS. What do you suggest? The standard sizes usually found with TM1637 displays (0.36" and 0.56") is fine. Thank you!

These will take 3 to 6 weeks to arrive... if you are lucky.
https://www.ebay.com/i/313270162766?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28&var=612131854330

Thank you! That means that they exist! Good news!
Does anyone know if someone is a selling a display module based on these (e.g. similar to TM1637 based modules)? Thanks!

I'm currently exploring those kind of display modules, and I've never seen one, not with two colons... but you can use an HT16K33 backpack module to drive bare LED modules. I've done that several times now.

aarg:
I'm currently exploring those kind of display modules, and I've never seen one, not with two colons... but you can use an HT16K33 backpack module to drive bare LED modules. I've done that several times now.

That is an interesting option! I will have to look into that too. If you happen to come across any 7-segment display modules that work with these 6-digit & 2 colon displays, please let us know. I would think this is something many Arduino users would like to have. Thanks!!

Looks like a 6-digit clock display is very rare. I’ve done some searching and 99% of LED displays only have decimal points. Another 0.9% are 4-digit displays with one colon in the middle.

If I got desperate enough, I would consider getting a bunch of cheap 2-digit displays to see if it was possible to add colons between them with tiny LEDs.

Or maybe get a 3D printer to produce custom displays lit with surface-mount LEDs.

I hesitate to suggest this solution because it's such a poor second choice compared to the actual display that meets your requirements, but, if you use 7-seg displays with decimal point, then you can rotate the 10's of minutes and 10's of seconds digit 180 degrees to get the DP in the top left corner. You then have 2 DPs together that might make a passable colon.

There's always the option of putting a couple of 3mm discrete LEDs in to act as a colon. It's not as nice as the all in one display.

here is just single 7 segment from a different source or 2..

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Hot-sale-Custom-0-36-inch_60789677135.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normal_offer.d_title.4f50581fUHQvlN

my googlefoo is not too strong tho..

I'm kind of surprised this is so 'rare' to be honest..

Good luck
Red

Redwolf947:
Hot Sale Custom 0.36 Inch White 6 Digit 7 Segment Digital Led Clock Display For Led Indicator Clock - Buy 6 Digit Led Clock Display,6 Digit 7 Segment Display,0.36 6 Digit 7 Segment Clock Display Product on Alibaba.com

Looks like they might have a 1000-unit minimum. :slight_smile:

Redwolf947:
I'm kind of surprised this is so 'rare' to be honest..

Yes, me too.. From what I can tell the TM1637 IC supports up to 6 digits, there are (as shown here) 6 digit displays with two set of colons, and last but not least, many clocks and watches do show seconds. It is so odd.... I have asked an Ebay vendor to check with their suppliers, perhaps they can address this oversight and release a product like this. Let's see.

The basic modules are made for commercial applications, not Arduino or electronics experimenters. If there is not a big demand for something, they don’t make it. Almost all the interesting Arduino modules have circuits that just exploit some commercial product that is already cheap due to mass production.

One cheesy trick that works, use 2 digit modules and place the middle one “upside down”. This places the decimal point at the top left, it somewhat imitates a semicolon when lit with the matching bottom right DP on the module to the left.

for simplification i would just use a 8 digit 7 Segment and print HH-MM-SS instead of HH:MM:SS.

or if you want to go larger, use two of these 4 digit 7-Segments with dots from Adafruit.

Both, the MAX7219 and the HT16K33 are well supported LED driver ICs. There are breakout boards available for the HT16K33 so you can connect the previous posted 6digit display also.

noiasca:
or if you want to go larger, use two of these 4 digit 7-Segments with dots from Adafruit.

The picture on the Adafruit site shows the model number of the display.
BL-Q120A-41UY-21

noiasca:
for simplification i would just use a 8 digit 7 Segment and print HH-MM-SS instead of HH:MM:SS.

There is another trick you can use with that. You can put black tape over the ends of a segment to convert it to a dot (I used some old Dymo labeling tape). I illuminate the "d" and "f" segment with the tape on them in this way. When there is a proper filter over the display (I use photo studio gels) you can not see any details of the display other than what is illuminated. In this way I can get a 6 digit display with colons from an 8 digit display. Really, they look pretty good.