7 Segment Wiring Help

Hey guys.

We're pretty new to Arduinos and electronics. This is our first project that we are doing with them and we need someone to just set us on the right path. We want to make a hockey scoreboard for a custom tabletop hockey game that my friend developed. We have a lot of parts already because we have been working on this project for a while and can't seem to get good traction with it.

This is the rough layout of the scoreboard.

Player's score is the 2 digit 7 segments on the upper left and right. Timer is the digits in the middle. Period is the single digit on the lower left and then we have a positive or negative RNG with numbers -19 to 19 on the lower right.

We currently have most of the programming done for the button presses. That was pretty easy except we made it display in the serial monitor since we don't have these displays hooked up yet. I have all the buttons connected together and going to the Arduino using a single 74HC165N shift register and 10k resistors on every button. That works good enough for us.

What is the best way for me to connect these LEDs to the Arduino that we have controlling all of this? I looked at using shift registers and daisy chaining them together, but someone told me that it would consume a lot of power. Then I found the MAX7219 driver chips, but my LED's are all separate modules from each other and I thought I would have to use a dedicated MAX7219 for every 7 segment LED because of that.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance. If you need any more info let me know!

Thanks!

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Have you googled arduino hockey scoreboard

Tom... :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Have you googled arduino hockey scoreboard

Tom... :slight_smile:

Thanks for your response!

Yes. That's the first thing we did. We know how to program most everything. I just need to know what would be the best way to wire these specific LEDs. I Weak on the electronics side. Not so much on the programming. There are tons of scoreboard projects out there. Every one is a little different and we have learned a ton from other peoples work.

We picked these LEDs because we like the size and the colors. This scoreboard has to look very real. This is a scaled down model of a hockey rink and everything has to look lifelike.

I just need to know where to start with the wiring on this basically.

Think of it this way. You basically have 77ish LEDs. That’s a lot.
A single MAX7219 can deal with 8 digits. You can use two. Wiring will be tedious since you’re using separate displays, but it can be done.

But before you even think about going further, you NEED to know whether your displays are common anode or common cathode. Hopefully they are all of the same type. Ideally they would be common cathode.

INTP:
Think of it this way. You basically have 77ish LEDs. That's a lot.
A single MAX7219 can deal with 8 digits. You can use two. Wiring will be tedious since you're using separate displays, but it can be done.

But before you even think about going further, you NEED to know whether your displays are common anode or common cathode. Hopefully they are all of the same type. Ideally they would be common cathode.

Thanks for the tips. The single digits are all common anode unfortunately. I could look for some different ones if that makes it easier. The 2 digit 7 segments are command cathode but everything else is anode.